Buying Advice

Sammis89

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2005
141
0
In the next month or so, ill be buying a new laptop. I wnat to get something that will last a few years without becoming obsolete, and some friends have told me that a mac is the way to go. I know that i want a screen that is bigger than 12 inches, and i would like a Superdrive. So heres my question... should i go with a powerbook or iBook, and what upgrades should i make?
 

Willy S

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
393
0
I would wait a little if you can. Apple will probably upgrade the laps soon and my advice is to get one with a 64mb graphics card.

I think new buyers should want a computer that fully supports Tiger and thus are likely to support its replacement when it arrives.
 

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The thing that makes a computer go obsolete is increased expectations. If you continue to use the operating system and programs that the machine originally was set up with, it will continue to function for years.

It's when you want to install a new OS, or new more advanced programs that the machine eventually has to be replaced.

For example, my daughter is still using her Mac SE 2Mb RAM 40 Mb hard drive / OS 6.01 system for her recipe database.

But their PC machine has had to be continually updated - new motherboard, new drives - to keep up with Windows updates. Finally, after the 4th complete system rebuild for viruses and spyware, I declared it obsolete and upgraded them to a Mac Mini.

:D
 

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
988
0
Northern California
Sammis89 said:
In the next month or so, ill be buying a new laptop. I wnat to get something that will last a few years without becoming obsolete, and some friends have told me that a mac is the way to go. I know that i want a screen that is bigger than 12 inches, and i would like a Superdrive. So heres my question... should i go with a powerbook or iBook, and what upgrades should i make?

If you're looking to keep the computer for a while you probably should go with a 15 inch Powerbook. The screen is a good size, and with enough RAM, it won't become obsolete for a while. CanadaRAM is absolutely right though, although I never thought of computers that way...
 

BKKloppenborg

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
194
0
La Mesa, Ca
I was wondering the same thing... I got the Powerbook imo its nicer.... However if you time time i would wait to see what updates they will do to ibooks or mabye soon Powerbooks... Good luck!
 

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
1,229
0
New York
Wait untill the end of June to see what comes out. I would recommend a 15" PowerBook as well. These machines pack a huge punch and they will not become obsolete for atleast 4-5 years. You can basically run just about every program on a PowerBook.
 

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
1,301
0
I agree with those who recommend the 15" Powerbook.

Overall, what's the motivation for purchasing the laptop? What is your intended use? The answers to these questions will guide you to any add-ons and RAM upgrades.
 

Sammis89

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2005
141
0
It will basically be used for word processing, mail, iTunes, a little music editing (Garage Band) and CAD, movie watching, and internet.
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
Sammis89 said:
It will basically be used for word processing, mail, iTunes, a little music editing (Garage Band) and CAD, movie watching, and internet.
If you can afford the 15" PowerBook, that would be my recommendation. It is a very solid machine and should last you for years. Also be sure to purchase AppleCare.
 

Bozola

macrumors regular
Couldn't agree with you more...

Just reloaded 9.2.2 on my 5yr old iMac 400mhz, running some old apps...It's Fast!!!
:)

CanadaRAM said:
The thing that makes a computer go obsolete is increased expectations. If you continue to use the operating system and programs that the machine originally was set up with, it will continue to function for years.
:D