Buying advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cheisA1A, Nov 17, 2012.

  1. cheisA1A macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2012
    Location:
    Midwest
    #1
    I am looking to buy my first MacBook Pro and want some input. I was thinking of taking advantage of the Black Friday deal that Apple offers. My budget is limited so I was looking at the 13" MBP with an upgrade to 8 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD. I was torn between 500 GB HD and the small SSD but am leaning towards the SSD.
    The Buyer's Guide on this site says to wait to buy as this product is coming to the end of a cycle. My question is this: Would I benefit by waiting this out and perhaps getting more bang for my buck with the next MBP? I know the prices of SSDs are expected to come down over time.

    Any input would help. Thank You
     
  2. Laco macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2008
    #2
    The next major update will be in the Summer when Haswell gets released around June. I don't know if that is too long to wait. I have that computer and I am extremely satisfied with it.
     
  3. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    Location:
    Tulsa
    #3
    I have not heard any news regarding refreshed MBP's as they were just refreshed less than 5 months ago. I just bought a new 2012 13" MacBook Pro and tried a 256GB SSD in it for a couple days, it was a remarkably fast machine even with having the standard 4GB RAM. But for now I have a 750GB HDD in it.

    If you're on a tight budget, definitely do not buy the SSD and RAM upgrades from Apple. Those are user-serviceable parts and they are super simple to change. You can find 128GB SSD's starting at less than $70 shipped (for refurbs) and even 16GB RAM for $45-$70.

    Also, if you wait for the next refresh, you could get this current model on a model-end sale from MacMall. BUT the current model is also available refurbished from the Apple Store right now for $1019. However I recommend buying yours from MacMall or Amazon as there would be no tax or shipping charges.
     
  4. MCAsan macrumors 601

    MCAsan

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2012
    Location:
    Atlanta
    #4
    I would suggest you check the price guide at www.appleinsider.com

    Also take advantage of any education discount or discount from membership in NAPP or other organization.
     
  5. cheisA1A thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2012
    Location:
    Midwest
    #5
    Thanks Laco.

    Zackkmac: I had also considered the aftermarket upgrades as many people have recommended doing that. Not sure about my ability to do this. I would rather have someone more knowledgeable than me do it.

    Thanks for the input

    ----------

    Thanks for the link MCAsan
     
  6. joshuaginter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 19, 2011
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    I would say that if you want to step up to 8GB of RAM and a SSD, then you might as well spend the $200 on the Retina Pro.

    I completely agree with buying the base model and buying your own internal upgrades at a cheaper price.
     

Share This Page