Buying advice

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by YoungMacPapi, May 2, 2013.

1. YoungMacPapi macrumors newbie

Is it worth it to buy a 2007 Mac mini with these specs

Intel Core Duo
    1.83 GHz
    Number of Cores: 2
    RAM: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Wifi and Bluetooth built-in

Software:
    Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
    iLife '11
    Microsoft Office 2011

For 100 dollars

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Still a decent little machine for non CPU / GPU intensive tasks.

3. YoungMacPapi thread starter macrumors newbie

If I upgrade the ram will I be able to do a little video editing

4. YoungMacPapi thread starter macrumors newbie

5. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

To be honest, SD (Standard Definition) - YES! If I could edit mini-DV footage on my old iBook 466Mhz G3, then there is no problem with that mini editing it. HD? Forgeddabouddit! Please do not confuse Ghz with computing power - a new quad-core mini will process things in no more than a tenth of the time, even though the CPU frequency is only 50% or so more. Also, 2GB is near or at the max RAM for that system. HD video is massive, and will eat that up in no time.

Having said all that, Snow leopard is a decent OS, and as long as you are legally getting the licences for that software, it is probably worth the $100 alone. If you already have the monitor, keyboard and mouse, I would think that you have an absolute steal on your hands. At the very least, it will allow you to understand what you need from a Mac and should you get the funds and urge to buy a new(er) one, you will know what to do...

Good luck! My introduction to the Mac was back in the dark days of 1997 when I bought a Powerbook 1400c from my Physics teacher. Like you, I didn't get the latest machine, but it was full of extra stuff, accessories and the like. Close to 10 Macs later, I think it was a good choice...

David

6. JoshAlder macrumors member

It really depends on how much $100 is to you. If thats your budget then go for it, however if its possible that you can spend more on a system then id reccommend that you save your money and save the money for a future purcahase. In regards to the editing. Dont expect alot out of a machine that is 6 years old, so be patient :D

7. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

8. opinio macrumors 65816

This will give you all the specs. Suggests 2 gigs is max RAM.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac_mini_cd_1.83-specs.html