Buying Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brookesy, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Brookesy macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I know there are many of these on here but I couldn't find one to suit what I wanted to know. Right now I am contemplating getting a new macbook pro retina after outgrowing my 2010 macbook pro and it slowly becoming slower over the years.

What i need help with is identifying exactly what I need. Right now i am a Yr11 high school student in Australia, I will be using the computer for school and for what I do on the side. For school I need it to handle simple things like internet browsing, word processing and creating presentations. I also need it to have windows to run PTL CREO cad program for 3d modelling of design and technology projects, therefore i need to run parallels or a like software, with windows 7 or 8.

I am also going to be working as a part-time photographer and videographer doing various projects throughout the year, this will entitle editing and rendering RAW files and up to 1080p 120fps video. using adobe photoshop, premiere, illustrator and after effects. For videos i make my own soundtracks, but this is only minor and using garageband.

what i do not need is any capacity to do gaming at all, as i don't do any

The three options that i have narrowed it down to are:

15" rMBP 2.2ghz i7 with 16gb of RAM and intel iris pro graphics with 256 ssd

15" rMBP 2.5ghz i7 with 16gb of RAM and Intel Iris Pro Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2gb with 512gb ssd

15" rMBP 2.8ghz i7 with 16gb of RAM and Intel Iris Pro Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2gb with 512gb sad

For me the amount of space on the ssd isn't of top importance as I use two 2tb hard drives normally, I will be using this computer with one HD led monitor attached via HDMI

any advice would be great thanks!

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The middle option (2.5/16/512/750M) will do you fine. The 750M can really help in 3D modeling and CAD, as well as rendering plus CUDA accelerated software.

3. Brookesy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I thought this would be good too and with the third option having to be a custom order it takes longer and is more expensive