buying advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by polskamac, Apr 12, 2015.

1. polskamac macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'll be entering my senior year of high school next year, and I'd like to buy myself a laptop that would hopefully last me through college.

I've used macs in the past and loved them, but I've never owned one myself.

Should I buy a mba 13" or rmbp 13"?
    If I go the mba route, is it worth buying the 2015 model? Or would the 2014 be fine?

And also, I've read a lot of comments saying upgrading to 8gb ram is a must for mba? Is this true? I mostly ask this because I can't find a 2014 model with 8gb

Amazon still has 2014 models that are discounted about $200, which is what I'm leaning towards ... I just don't know about the RAM

2. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

You have to decide what you want more, power or portability?

My advice is, if it's going to be your only computer, then get the rMBP. Your eyes will thank you. The Air's resolution is simply not up to scratch for 2015. The rMBP is also quite a bit more powerful, especially in applications that can utilise all the cores - i.e CS6, gaming etc. Bear in mind however, 1.5KG is kinda heavy to be carrying with you all day. I'm quite a large guy and it gets annoying have to always lug around the 13' rMBP.

If however you will also have a desktop at home, then get the Air, as it's far more portable for college. You could also get the air as your main PC and hook up a display when you're home? The cost savings by not getting a rMBP could easily get you a nice 24' Full HD monitor.

Hope this has helped somewhat.

EDIT: I would buy brand new through the education store as you also get free applecare for 3 years, well here in the UK at least. If you do want to buy 2nd hand, then make sure it has at least 2+ years of applecare remaining so you can take it to apple should any issues arise.