Buying Advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sasha.danielle, Jul 9, 2015.

  1. sasha.danielle macrumors regular

    Mar 15, 2015
    I'm thinking about buying a 5k iMac this month.

    I've been planning on buying a new laptop and desktop over the next year. I just bought a 1.1 rMB, because it's really the more useful device for me and I **LOVE** the form factor of the rMB. But it is quite laggy and I think I'll be much happier with a Skylake version next spring, so I'm considering returning it. That said, I need a machine (one or the other) immediately, which means getting the desktop.

    I know Skylake will be more important for MacBooks than iMacs, but it does concern me some that the processor is two years old at this point. I don't mind replacing laptops every 3 or 4 years, but I want a desktop to last for five for sure.

    Am I going to regret getting that Haswell processor?

    I'm not an intensive user. I might get into more audio work at some point, but for the most part it's a machine to be used for writing and media.

    I have to make a call on this shortly so that I'm still in my return window for the rMB. I also don't really want to buy the iMac new, I'd rather save the bucks on the desktop by buying it refurbished, which means if I wait for Skylake I'll be waiting until January.

    To me it seems I have a couple options:

    1) Upgrade to a 1.3 rMB and hope this solves my lag issues, and buy the Skylake 5K iMac refurbished in January. I'm not thrilled about this, because I think regardless it's probably a mistake to be stuck with a gen 1 product for too long and I don't want to buy a maxed out model and then lose a bunch of money reselling it.

    2) Endure the lag on the 1.1 rMB (it's not like the machine is unusable by any means), buy the refurb Skylake iMac in January and sell my rMB and buy a refurb Skylake rMB next summer. I bought my rMB with a Best Buy 10% coupon, so between that and the refurb price on the Skylake machine, I probably shouldn't lose much money. I'll just have to deal with this lag. This also gives me a fully up to date retina iMac.

    3) Get the refurb Haswell 5K iMac now and the new Skylake rMB next year. This is the simplest option, the cheapest option and the option that involves no reselling). It does, however, leave me with a 2 year old processor in my iMac and no laptop for 8 months (though I do have an iPad Air 2 with keyboard so it's not like I have no portable device).

  2. TripleCore macrumors regular

    Oct 30, 2007
    I just bought a refurbished 5k iMac retina. It's a beautiful machine and covers everything I need it for in terms of performance. The large retina screen is great to look at and better for my productivity. If you don't opt for a fusion drive, you may need some USB3/TB external storage.

    I also have a new rMB. I don't notice the lag issues, but I am not a heavy user of it. But it is new tech (retina) and pairs well with the iMac.

    I wouldn't worry about resale value since you will get reasonable return on it even after selling it 5-6 years later. You will probably be able to sell your rMB too if the Skylake arrives--it is not old, so you will get closer to what you bought it for. If you need a powerful laptop for some reason, you could get a retina MacBook Pro instead if the rMB. If you hardly use a laptop, then of course it would be a waste just laying around while you are on your iMac.

    Skylake is somewhere off in the future, and I decided it was time to replace my old Mac tech.
  3. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 15, 2015
    Which rMB do you have?

    I don't really need a powerful laptop at all, just one that isn't all laggy. I have a feeling this is mostly to do with the 1.1 model.
  4. TripleCore macrumors regular

    Oct 30, 2007
    I have the base model. But after traveling and using the old MacBook unibody I had, this is a breath of fresh air.

Share This Page

3 July 9, 2015