Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gadawg31, Jan 6, 2009.

1. gadawg31 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have been doing some research on Apple products and was wondering if anyone has any advice on purchasing a new Apple computer. I have been steered in the iMac direction and from what I have seen, I like it a lot. However, I have been on the dark side (IBM) for many years and know very little about the quality of Apple. Unlike regular computer products, will apple's out-date themselves in 6months to a year? I am worried about spending a lot of money and then the computer becomes near obsolete in 1-2 years. How about graphics, what should I look for ( I am not a huge gamer, but will do it from time to time.) and also memory. Someone told me that MACs run very effecient and what a normal computer would need 4gb of ram, an apple will do the same with 2gb. Is this true? Lastly, what about processor speed. Are apple products more effecient with this as well or do they compare the same to regular IBM products, i.e. is 2.0ghz, 2.0ghz in either system? Any and all advice is welcome, since this will be a big purchase for me and I want to get as much knowledge from different perspectives as I can. Thanks in advance. :)

v/r
    gadawg

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They're getting updated today. Wait for the store to come back online and order yourself the base model 20".

Yes. OS X is FAR better at managing hardware than Vista. OS X runs faster with 2GB than Vista does with 4GB. Take two computers with identical hardware. OS X will run faster than any Windows OS on that hardware. Take a computer made by Apple and a PC with identical hardware. Windows will run faster on APPLE'S HARDWARE than it will on regular PC hardware.

3. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I agree with the previous post, but keep in mind that Macs are not the best for gaming. However, given your causal gaming habits, the iMac will be more than enough. Personally, if I didn't need the portability of a notebook, I would have gone with the iMac hands down!

Additionally, coming from someone who has owned multiple IBM computers, you will not be disappointed with the switch. OS X is better than Windows in so many ways and it will take approx. 3 days to get comfortable with it. The Build quality is exceptional and you can really feel the attention to detail.

The one thing I absolutely love about Macs is that the ability for old computers to run the latest OS. My good friend has a PowerBook G4 that's almost 5 years old and it runs Leopard no problem. Imagine trying to upgrade an old IBM with Vista...

My biggest complaint with Apple would probably be the price premium and Apple Care (it doesn't include any accidental damage and costs a fortune). Find someone who has a student number and get yourself a discount!