buying advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by maldoror, Apr 16, 2009.

1. maldoror macrumors regular

so i'm going to the apple store tomorrow to try to get a deal on a mb pro 17" 2.93...

what do i need to know to get the best deal?

can i get a student discount if i'm not a student? do they ask for proof? if so i'll just get a friend to get it.
    can you talk the price down? do the sellspeople have any room? can you get free upgrades?
    i've seen talk of a 3 year warranty that's not the care plan...can i get this? or can i buy a careplan on ebay or something to save money?
    i read someone say they wish they had installed their own ram to save money...is this something i can do?
    are there any other options i should upgrade myself?

what are all the secrets of getting the best deal?

maldo

2. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Not really much wiggle room on the price, as all Apple employees are psychically linked to Steve Jobs and he can kill them with his mind if he so chooses.
    definitely work the educational discount, before I was at university I ordered all my stuff through my aunt who was a teacher. The ask for proof at the store, but not always if you order via the phone.
    Basically, it's all about talking to the right person. Find the highest-up employee in the store that you can, since most of the time they are much more willing and able to cut you deals. Also, if it's not going the direction you want with a particular person, just try again with another if you can.
    Probably the best you are going to do is lower the price, no free upgrades or free warranties. But, never say never.

3. maldoror thread starter macrumors regular

thanks...

what about the other things...the 3 year warranty? how can i get that?

and the ram? should i get all the options when i buy..or put the ram in myself and get applecare off ebay/or this 3 year warrenty?

4. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Have you been to www.apple.com/store? You'll find prices on the applecare, computers, deals etc. As far as I know computer prices are relatively fixed and there isn't much room to haggle (its not like buying a car). If you are really looking for a deal you can order your computer through apple's refurbished store, those typically are cheaper than the education discount.

Also keep in mind that you get the edu discount on applecare too.

5. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I would buy the RAM after the fact from OWC or somewhere like that and install it myself, you'll save lots of money.

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you mention a three year warranty. I think Apple Care is three years, but to my knowledge there is no other warranty available for Apple products.
    I personally never get warranties on anything, since **** always breaks the day after your warranty is over. ;)