Buying advice.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tactician1016, Jul 17, 2010.

1. tactician1016 macrumors regular

tactician1016

I currently own an iPod Classic 80gb, I bought it used on eBay about a month ago. I am going to college in a month, and am debating the iPod Touch.

My primary use for the iPod classic is music player. My iTunes library, factoring in music (5gb or so, expanding daily) movies and videos (7.25 gb and expanding daily), and podcasts (4.3gb and expanding daily) is about 16gb, and will probably keep growing. I have become interested in the Ipod touch for a) videos with a slightly larger screen, b) wi-fi and a portable internet device, and c) apps, although those are less of a priority.

Basically, as I see it, I have 5 options (in order of my thinking)
    1: keep the ipod classic and buy a new iPod when they upgrade (i'm guessing september)
    2: keep the iPod classic, buy a used touch on eBay.
    3: Sell the iPod and buy a new touch with more storage (32 or 16)
    4: 3, except with a used ipod.
    5. do not buy.

I am asking for advice (obviously) on this decision, and with a couple questions:
    If i do buy a new one, how much storage should i get?
    If I buy a used, which generation and how much storage?
    How much would a double-used, but in great condition, ipod classic (80gb) sell for on eBay?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

2. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Hey, I suggest you do number 3, but when the new Touches come out in a month and a half. Sell the Classic, and put the money toward a new Touch. I suggest getting a 32GB, I understand your iTunes collection is about 16GB, but 32GB should be fine since your iTunes library is continuing growing. The new iPod Touch coming out will probably be the best yet. I think your Classic should be around $110-$150 used on eBay if it has some accesories included and in great condition, hoped this helped you.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The Classic's only strength is capacity. If you want to take a lot of content with you, or if you want to have weeks of music at your fingertips, it's the device for you. However, if young to really view videos or photos, you are best to plug it into an external device for viewing.

The iPod Touch, for media consumption, is what you want. If you think you might want many of the rumored features of the next generation Touch, then wait. If they announce upgrades you don't need, Best Buy usually has clearance on the previous generation and you can pick one up on cheap.

As for capacity, ther is the "buy as much as you can afford" approach. However, it really depends on how often you wish to sync and replace content from the host computer (where storage is plentiful and cheap) and how much content you need to carry around at any one time.

4. jimmy1984 macrumors member

jimmy1984

refurb

go to the apple store's website and scroll down to the bottom left. They have a refurbished mac and ipod section. You can save a lot of money buying a refurbished product, and Apple has consistently done an incredible job selling a high quality product.

5. tactician1016 thread starter macrumors regular

tactician1016

I'm probably going to get the 32GB touch when it updates, but i have another question.
    How is the iOS interface for iPod functions? Is the music part easy to use or is it difficult to navigate?

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

7. tactician1016 thread starter macrumors regular

tactician1016

After going to the :apple: store and looking at the Touch (32), I am sold. My questions left are, what features on the next iPod touch justify waiting?

8. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

• Retina Display
    • A camera
    • Microphone
    • 802.11n WiFi
    • Gyroscope
    • A4 Processor
    • 512MB RAM
    • Redesign

9. tactician1016 thread starter macrumors regular

tactician1016

Ok, that's definitely worth a wait, but might they increase the price?

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Usually not, but if they do...so what? If it's out your price range then, the older generation will be on clearance through secondary retailers.

11. tactician1016 thread starter macrumors regular

tactician1016

True. Alright, I think my course of action will be choice 3 (sell the classic, buy the new touch at 32GB), possibly subject to change. Another question that I just thought of, is a remote (like the ones on the included headphones) necessary? Also, are the in-ear headphones good? I have a pair of bose earbuds, how do they compare?

12. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Sounds like a good choice! I have the In-Ear Headphones and they're nice, certainly better than the standard ones, but in my opinion certainly not worth an additional $80.

Edit: Oh by the way in terms of a price increase, they won't. To cut costs they will just keep the $199 model with the previous generation hardware and only update the 32GB and 64GB models.

13. tactician1016 thread starter macrumors regular

tactician1016

I was actually wondering if getting a pair of headphones specifically with a remote was necessary for the iPod touch, as I happen to really like my bose earphones and would hate to have to get a new set.

14. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Ah, I thought you were talking about Apple's in ear-headphones.

A pair of headphones with a remote built in certainly isn't necessary, I barely use the remote portion of my headphones, but it can come in handy at times like when someone abruptly starts trying to talk to you.

15. tactician1016 thread starter macrumors regular

tactician1016

Both, really. My meaning was a) is a remote headset necessary, and b) are the in-ear headphones with said remote on par with the bose. According to what you just told me, the remote is not that important, although I wish they had at least one in-ear set for testing in the apple store. As for (b), I could find them on ebay for about 25, give or take, and cnet gave them a higher score than the bose. Does that mean much?

16. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Well I can't really compare them to any Bose products, but I can tell you that I do trust CNET's ratings most of the time.

17. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

+1

18. tactician1016 thread starter macrumors regular

tactician1016

So if the sound quality is as good as claimed, does the remote feature warrant purchasing? It would not work on my current classic, and I won't be buying the iPod Touch until September (I assume that's when they'll upgrade). How often do you (or anyone) use the remote feature in conjunction with a touch?

19. tactician1016 thread starter macrumors regular

tactician1016

Well, I gave in and bought the in-ears with remote. They're only headphones until I can get the new touch, then they'll be useful with remote. Hopefully, they're good. Thanks for all the help.

20. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I want to say youre welcome but i didnt really help... :eek:

21. tactician1016 thread starter macrumors regular

tactician1016

Any and all input is appreciated when talking about spending money, in any quantity. Any idea if I can get the earphone remote to work for the 80gb classic at all?

22. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I think they should, have you bought them yet? Or are you waiting to buy them until the 4G (see my sig) comes out?

23. tactician1016 thread starter macrumors regular

tactician1016

I bought them on eBay last night (see earlier post), and they probably won't arrive for a couple days at least. I'll update when they arrive.

24. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Cool, btw, it all depends on where theyre coming from for shipping time.