Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbc2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Hi Folks,

This is my first post in this forum. I am a recent convert to Mac and currently have a Macbook Pro as my home and work machine.

I want to buy a Color laser printer and scanner with the following features
1. Has good drivers/support for OS X.
2. Has duplex printing.
3. Scanner must be sheet-fed and flatbed capable.
4. Scanner must be capable of duplex scanning of pages.
I am ready to spend $800.

Initially I was thinking of all-in-one machines as it would allow me to make photocopies easily. After doing some research I saw some confusing user reviews for HP, Xerox, Canon multifunctions. Now I am open to having the printer and scanner separately.

I have decided to throw in the towel and ask you folks for some advise. Many of you might already have machines (that match my feature request above) and hope that you will share your experience.

ctbiofarmer

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
conncticut
color laser printer scanner fax

Hi Folks,
I am also new to this forum, have a couple of macs and am looking for a color laser printer scanner fax machine. At this point I have come up with the Brother MFC-9840CDW. It looks like it will do all that I am looking for as well as scan and print on both sides, duplexing. The price is around $ 800.00, but am looking for a sale. From the reviews I have seen it is a great unit, but can anybody tell me the quality of picture prints are???

Also I have been looking at the Samsung CLX-3175FN unit but that just came out a few month ago and can not find any reviews.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Oh, cool. The Samsung CLX-3175FN I ordered from newegg arrived today (they have the best price I could find for new on the web this week). I'll try to keep you posted as I wrestle it free from the packing.

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
What do you think of the CLX-3175FN? I ordered it because I'm also looking for a color laser printer/duplex scanner with sheetfed and flatbed scanning.

However, I found the print quality to be sub-par and the color accuracy was really off. Oranges looked red, and bold text was incredibly fuzzy, among other quality issues. I emailed scanned printouts to Samsung and the tech agreed that there was a problem.

I also used the CLP-315 for a few days and experienced the same printing problems.

But my needs are almost identical those of the original poster, except that I'm also looking for OCR. If anyone knows of a printer/scanner that meets these criteria I would also love to know.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
The CLX gave me okay color - I'm printing things like enclosures and flyers so I don't have the color accuracy needs of some.

The printing is globby in the very center of reds. Odd, yes, but I would best liken it to a screen print that was pulled off the screen as the ink dried. Does it interfere with my needs? No. Perfect laser printer? Meh. Beautiful AIO for me needs.

fxstb2002

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
I have the Brother MFC-9840CDW. Works great as a scanner and as a b/w printer. The color printing is ok for business documents with some color, but not quality pictures. Then again, no laser is going to give you quality color photographs in this price range. I can't remember whether it was $700 or $800 when I bought it.

I also use it as a fax machine that emails the faxes to me as a multi-page tiff.

Overall, I like it. It replaced the previous Brother printer I had, a scanner, and the fax machine functions of the Small Business Server that I dumped in favor of a NAS for file storage.

ctbiofarmer

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
conncticut
I just got the Brother MFC-9840CDW printer. It prints on plain paper nicely even color pictures. Laser photo paper makes great photo prints, but you need to use pictures taken with a high pixel camera. The setup was good and the copier is very good. I have not gotten to duplexing, faxing or wireless setup yet.

ctbiofarmer

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
conncticut
Brother MFC-9840CDW 4 in1 laser printer

I just got the Brother MFC-9840CDW printer. It prints on plain paper nicely even color pictures. Laser photo paper makes great photo prints, but you need to use pictures taken with a high pixel camera. The setup was good and the copier is very good. I have not gotten to duplexing, faxing or wireless setup yet.

Now that I have had this multi function printer etc. unit a few weeks, I am very happy with it's performance. Good color quality, it takes a little time after it has not been used a while to get going. To remove a sheet of paper (8.5 X 11) is a little hard since the paper does not quite make the slot where you could put your fingers under it to remove the sheet. I might try to tape a small piece of plastic so the paper will lift up and I can get my fingers under it. Half size sheets of paper hand fed is no problem, but you have to lift the top up to get. The wireless setup is great both with my G4 desktop and MacBook. If you copy pictures in the wireless setup you do not need TWAIN to save it in JPEG format. The price might be steep, but there are always sales going on that can bring the price down to the $ 500.00 range. All in all it is a great unit.

jason101

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2008
like to find a monochrome laser printer

Hi all, I would like to find a monochrome laser printer that has a reasonble retail price which is hopefully less than $450. More important, though, are the cost of supplies and how often they will need to be replaced. Is there a printer for which you can simply add toner rather than replace drums and cartridges? I would like a printer that is rated for at least 15,000 pages per month. Any suggestions and comparisons will be appreciated.

Check 6

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2007
My 7 year old Okidata 6000N which is still going strong is no longer being supported by Oki with drivers for Lion so I am researching the market. I have decided on the Xerox 6505 DN my second choice is the Canon Imageclass MF8380Cdw laser. Both are duplex printers have secondary feeds for envelopes and or heavy stock. The Xerox is also memory upgradeable to over 700 meg and is also of more solid construction. The Xerox is direct buy from Xerox, hope it works out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.