Buying Advise: High end 13'' MBP VS Base 15" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BigWalt, Feb 24, 2011.

1. BigWalt macrumors regular

BigWalt

Hello folks,

I am planing on buying my very first MacBook Pro, however I have never personally owned a Mac. I am trying to decide which MBP would be best for myself.

13" MBP:
    2.7GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpmSuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)NoneBacklit Keyboard (English)

Or

15" MBP:
    2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpmSuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen DisplayNoneBacklit Keyboard (English)

I am a basic user and only real use will be for simple word documents, internet, netflix, and some basic HTML coding. I am planning on keeping my HP desktop PC so the MBP will prob just be used when im on the go or out of town for work.

Yes I'm a noob, sorry lol

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The only thing that really matters for the basic user if they insist on buying the latest model is screen size. Any machine since about 2006 can handle "simple word documents, internet, netflix, and some basic HTML coding."

3. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Screen size is a big factor, but personally I prefer saving money on a smaller notebook screen and a large monitor for when I'm doing serious work.

But as for basic users, I always recommend they check out Apples refurb store because if you don't need the latest and greatest then you can save big money with last years model.

4. BigWalt thread starter macrumors regular

BigWalt

Yes screen size is the only reason for wanting a MBP, I refuse to buy another pc that i need to replace every year almost.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

On the 15 in model, there is an option for more screen resolution. Also on the 15 in model there are separate audio in and out jacks which is a big deal for some users. Take a look at the geekbench results for the new MBP and you will see that this year's slowest model (13 in) is faster than 2010's fastest (17 in) model.

Another thing to consider is weight. The 13 in model is lighter to carry around but if small and light are important to you, take a glance at the 11 in MBA which isn't much bigger than an iPad...

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Go for screen size. Either machine is plenty capable, otherwise.

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Just stick with the high end 13 to save some money. You always have your external monitor.

8. BigWalt thread starter macrumors regular

BigWalt

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks guys ordering a 15" MBP