Buying advise - iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iFitzgerald, Jun 4, 2014.

1. iFitzgerald, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014

iFitzgerald macrumors regular

iFitzgerald

Greetings!

I'm creating this topic because I want to be specific about my case.
    I live in Portugal and the iPhone here is...well, pretty expensive!
    The 16Gb iPhone 5S for instance, costs 700€ (around $950)! I get paid a bit more than minimum wage (which is 500€ - $680) but if I bought one, I would spend almost all the money I make in a month of work, so the most recent model is out...

The iPhone 4S costs 400€ (around $545) and I can buy it in a big store that we have here for 329€ (or $450). It's still almost half of what I make in a month but I am sick and tired of Android and I'm considering buying it.

So I have two questions now:

1 - For social networking apps, email, half a dozen apps (like Runkeeper, Shazam and TVShowTime for instance) and a couple of games like Sudoku, are the 8Gb enough? (I won't have songs in it) And is the performance good?

2 - I don't think that the iPhone can be much cheaper in Portugal, in fact the 70€ discount is rare as it is. Considering the discount and the age and performance of it, do you think that it is (still) worth it?

EDIT - I think I posted this in the wrong from, sorry :S

EDIT 2 - Don't worry, it's almost half of the income, but I've been saving for a new phone for a few months now :)

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Performance is good. You can squeeze that in 8GB no prob. But start adding many photos, bank apps, etc etc and it'll start getting tight. My uncle does just fine with an 8GB, for many it's fine. Expect to need to plug into iTunes to do iOS updates as you won't have enough local working space to go over-the-air/wifi.

But the upcoming iOS8 is the last update. It doesn't support LTE. It has the old display form factor.

Stretch for a 5 or a 5C.

Half your income? I doubt this is a smart purchase for you...

3. iFitzgerald, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014

iFitzgerald thread starter macrumors regular

iFitzgerald

Thank you for your reply :)
    Well, half of my income is stretching a bit indeed, but I think about the two Androids I bought in the last three years and I start to think about the next Android I might buy and the money I've been paying for sucky Androids is starting to look expensive in the long run.

4. iFitzgerald thread starter macrumors regular

iFitzgerald

Oh and what do you consider to be many photos? 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000? Thank you again :)