Buying AirPort Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by A.Chakery, May 22, 2015.

1. A.Chakery, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015

A.Chakery macrumors member

Hello,

I need to purchase a Router for my home usage, and I am stuck between AirPort Extreme and D-Link AC1200.

Would you please tell me if AirPort Ex. supports NTFS formatted storage devices through the USB port ?
    D-Link supports both NTFS and MAC J.

Thank you

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. A.Chakery thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the reply,

Thats sad since I wanted to purchase AirPort Ex.

Anyways it seems that this time D-Link is more promissing....

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Why do you need to Airport Extreme to support NTFS? Windows will just see it as a networked drive you can access no matter what format it is in.

5. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Even if the AE handled NTFS, you would be limited to a USB 2 connection. I believe that the D-Link may have USB 3 which is vastly faster than USB 2.

I might suggest you take an opportunity to check out smallnetbuilder site which has ample reviews of various routers along with some quantitative tests.

Hope you find a router that suits your needs.

6. A.Chakery thread starter macrumors member

Well I didn't know this but currently my hard drives are formatted in NTFS... And it would be so hard to reformat them to mac j. In other hand I do not have any windows os which means the only problem at the moment is formatting the hard drives.

Thank you again

----------

You have got a good point here since the router which I am planning to purchase is AC1200 DIR-860L which supports USB3 ... but we can not ignore the features that AE provides with an apple device.

I am really confused ...

7. A.Chakery thread starter macrumors member

OK since I decided to go with apple would you please tell if windows or linux operating systems will be able to Read and write to the hard drive which is connected to AE ?

And would you please tell me if it would be possible to store my Musics or PDF files on the connected hard drive then use it on my iPhone or iPad ?

Thank you

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes. Linux and Windows will both be able to see the drive as a shared drive and read/write to it.

You won't be able to see those things from the iPad to iPhone natively. I think there are some third party utilities that will allow this, but I am not familiar with them.

9. A.Chakery thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for the help.
    Finally I purchased AirPort Extreme.

Regarding the iPhone and iPad app, I found this app which seems to be promising but personally I have not tested it yet:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filebrowser-access-files-on/id364738545?mt=8

Good luck

10. YatBob macrumors member

YatBob