Buying an American Bluray player

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Burntfender, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Burntfender macrumors member

Hi!
    I'm from Australia and am looking to buy a blu ray player to play American region blu rays bought on amazon. I do have a PS3 but I'm unaware as to how I would go about unlocking it to play all region blu rays.
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend a really good blu ray player for picture and sound quality- I don't need wifi or 3D or any if that- just need it to play blu rays really well.
    Thanks!

2. boch82 macrumors 6502

I have the Sony BDP-s370. for the price you cant go wrong. I use it to test the Blu-Rays/DVDs I burn before sending to clients. Movies look pretty good it too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=sony+bdp-s370&x=0&y=0

3. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

Have you already bought Blu-ray discs that won't play? If so, you might want to wait until you get one. The VAST majority of BD's are region free.

4. Burntfender thread starter macrumors member

Really? I've looked on amazon and can barely find any multiregion blu-rays. All the ones worth buying are locked to Region 2.
    I'll look into the Sony one for sure! Thanks!

5. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

Really, even if they say they have a region on the package, the disc often doesn't :) Wait until you get a disc that doesn't play then buy a player from here. Depending on how many American movies you buy it could be a few months...

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

And some have no region on the packaging, but the disc does (Independence Day, I'm looking at you...)