buying an Apple TV 3rd gen at late 2016?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by biopig, Oct 29, 2016.

1. biopig macrumors member

Hi,
    I have a 1080p TV but no cable in my bedroom, so basically it's like abandoned. So I'm considering buying an Apple TV 3rd gen, and use AirPlay to project from my iPhone or iPad, which is the cheapest solution I can figure out to make use of my TV in bedroom again. I have some questions:

1. Does it FULLY support 1080p movie AirPlay FROM other device, like iPhone, without losing video/picture quality? I know it support 1080p video output, but have no idea about the AirPlay input quality.
    2. Does it NATIVELY support HULU, Netflix, YouTube, and iCloud Music Library(formly iTunes Match)?
    3. I have an Apple TV 4th gen in living room, is it still worth it to buy a 3rd gen one for $60-70 for bedroom? I do enjoy the ability of installing app on TV box but have a thought that buying another TV box for $100-150 (actually I spent $200 on apple.com to buy the 64GB model) only for bedroom TV which I only occasionally use is kinda ripped off.

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Wait for a holiday sale and get the ATV4.

3. Rigby macrumors 601

It's the same as the ATV4.
    Yes. But to be clear: iTunes Match is still called iTunes Match. The ATV3 supports Match, but not the iCloud Music Library functionality included in Apple Music.
    Up to you. I use an old ATV3 in our guest room without any issues (but didn't have to buy it). One thing to consider is that Apple has apparently abandoned it, so there probably won't be any more software updates in case something breaks down the line.

4. biopig thread starter macrumors member

Good idea! If the sales price downs to below $100 then I will be happy to buy the ATV4 :) I think bestbuy will do that
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2016 ---
    Thanks for the reply and the correction :) I like iTunes match and that's why I need it on all my devices. Software update concern is also what keeps me from outdated device

5. Tech198 macrumors G4

I would buy noting else BUT an Apple TV 3 from the rebush store, if i can still get it and not just because of price, but if i had no option the Apple TV 4..

Not sure about the 1st question, but
    2. yep, Hulu is on Apple TV 3, Netflix, no Apple music... It does have iTunes match.... * Apple music only on Apple TV 4

I would like installing apps but i'm in same position... The stuff i user Apple TV 3 for only, i'd be wasting money, since would never use Apple music on the big screen,,, I don't use siri now on iOS, so i won't use it on Apple TV 4 either.

Price difference is not worth it for me.... I like what Apple did, but for me personally i won't be buying one until i am forced to. (a.k.a Apple TV 3 goes away from refurb store only)

6. sinanziric macrumors member

1. Yes, I am using Apple TV 3rd generation with iPhone 6s
    2. everything except apple music
    3. I got 3rd gen for $50

7. jdag macrumors 6502a

Streaming boxes, in general, are very subjective. The decision on which one(s) to use is closely tied to your viewing habits and programming choices. For example:

If you use Airplay a ton either AppleTV might be fine.
    If you watch a lot of Amazon Prime video, then a FireTV might be better for you.
    If you use Plex, the AppleTV 4 is tough to beat.
    If all you care about is Netflix/Hulu, then any will be fine.

I have 3 ATV4s and have zero regrets. My primary 2 apps are Plex and Channels (which plays live OTA TV from my HDHomeRun and antenna). The ATV4 is absolutely outstanding for these 2 apps, and while Plex is available on virtually any streaming box (except ATV3 unless you AirPlay), Channels is ATV4 only. That right there is worth the cost of admission.

TL/DR: Figure out WHAT you watch 1st, THEN pick a streaming box that allows it.

8. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

I wouldn't bother with the Apple TV3, get an Apple TV4. You can look for used ones to save money. I ended up finding a used 64GB one for $108 at my local used movie/video game store. I think I've seen them for as low as $90 lately, and the 32GB ones down around $70.

9. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

ATV3 fan here, but got an ATV4 for Sling TV. The enabled me to cut the cable cord yet get favorite cable channels at very reasonable monthly rate. And I hate cable companies so enabled freedom from them.

10. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

11. arobert3434 macrumors member

I'm going to go against the tide here and say get the 3. It works perfectly fine for the uses you mention, takes up less space, uses less power, and is cheaper. Nice, clean, dark-only UI and no mucking around with apps required. Whereas the aTV 4 is more of a "V1" device and won't retain much value once the next version comes out with 4K support and better gaming capabilities.

12. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

If you don't mind refurbished, here are 32GB for $80 and 64GB for $100.

I don't know why anyone would buy the 64GB though.