Buying an Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Kendall231, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Kendall231 macrumors newbie

Kendall231

I was thinking about getting an Apple TV and now with the new software update I am really thinking about getting an Apple TV but I was think maybe I should wait because Apple might have a new Apple TV known as the Apple TV 5th generation, which I know not much is known about it and Apple is not saying much about either, and that Apple might announce a new Apple TV at the WWDC event in June, so basically my question is should I get an Apple TV 4th generation now or wait until Apple announces a new Apple TV and it is available to buy?

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Buy now if you want it. I would be shocked if they introduced one at WWDC. To me the earliest would around October 2016 like last year. But that would be a stretch.

3. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Apple just did a major revision of the Apple TV, they won't be changing hardware for a little while. Software is where you will see all the action.

4. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

There's no chance of another Apple TV for ages. Even then, these things sell used very close to their new prices, since they are so reliable. In the meantime, you could be enjoying the goodness of everything it does. You can't go wrong.

5. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Just wait until the fall to see if there's going to be a new one, if not get it then...

6. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

What if they release the 5th generation, but then they release a 6th generation at a later date

Just buy it man, and enjoy

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I think it will be WWDC 2017 for the update!

8. John_Hagan macrumors member

John_Hagan

Absolutely. Just about any electronics that you buy today will eventually be replaced by a newer model. The ATV4 is a really good device. I'm sure that you will enjoy it.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

10. tanfan macrumors regular

As soon as there is an Apple TV with 4K support and Vudu and Amazon video apps, I'm going to buy one.

11. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

There's little chance we will see Apple TV upgrade this year IMO. The only worth upgrade is 4K and that will happen when there are 4K contents in iTunes.
    Apple could upgrade CPU/GPU but that will have very little impact for streaming device.

12. satcomer, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The Amazon app iS Amazon's choice! They even decided not to sell the new Apple TV at the very start of Amazon started selling Fire TVs!

13. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

Kendall231,

That seems unlikely. The new AppleTV is only a half-year old – I'm sure they plan to support it for years with software updates. The first-generation AppleTV was released in 2007; so far Apple's never demonstrated urgency in updating the hardware.