Buying an Apple Watch, but wish it were round.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by linkgx1, Apr 15, 2015.

1. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

I'm a huge fan of round watch faces, it's classic. I'm getting an Apple Watch with Milanese loop. But I hope they have a round one soon. Android Wear has shown it's possible. I'd like to have a variety since it is a fashion piece. Anyone else feel the same?

2. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

NO. I currently use a rectangular watch. Love it. Wouldn't have purchased the apple watch if it was round.

3. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

It's classic, but I think the different form factor looks quite good.

4. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Round doesn't work well for most things other than round watch faces.

5. blatch macrumors member

blatch

If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass a-hoppin'.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1866943

why it's not round. Scroll down to the bottom.

7. linkgx1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was thinking this, but I think the WatchOS is made partially to be round, especially when paired with the digital crown. The icons are so...round.

8. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Look at the link in Armen's post (specifically http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=20997207&postcount=10).

Round Google Wear watches are always cutting off text, personally it would drive me insane.

9. linkgx1 thread starter macrumors 65816

10. heeloliver macrumors 6502a

heeloliver

The only thing round smart watches are good for is....round watch faces. Other than that, scrolling through things would be pretty **** if the watch was round.

Because of how dark the bezel and screen are, having a circular watch face still looks nice.

11. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Obviously. :rolleyes:

Just teasing. Initially a round face would seem more appropriate, but when you realize the screen will be used for text and pictures and such, square just makes more sense than round.

12. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

A round screen could work really well if the entire interface was designed with it in mind (ie, look at the Nest). Ironically, Apple is probably the only company that would spend the time to get it right.

13. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

All displays are square/rectangle. This is a wrist display that is being called a watch.

14. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

It's not round because at this stage Apple can't think outside the square...
    Just like it took Apple 3 years to realise the potential of bigger phones, it might take the same time for Apple to introduce the proper, round watch design.
    As it looks now is like a very expensive Fitness band...

15. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I'm holding out for the rhombus shaped :apple: Watch.

16. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

Round watches may look better, but square watches display information better.

17. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

If you need a reminder, this is what phones were supposed to look like before Apple created the iPhone.

[​IMG]

Stubborn biases will always give way to functionality and usability.

This silly argument about round watches will largely disappear within 2 years. Apple will never create a round watch because there is not a single positive or even neutral argument about how it makes the user's life better.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

You're not alone.

Ignore those who whine about scrolling. First off, the whole point of these things (according to Apple) is short glances and fashion.

So it's okay to be round. This shows my round LG getting a text similar to the one in the Apple keynote:

text-compare.png

And yeah, I think you're right that Apple wanted to go circular, judging from some of their core Watch apps.

apple_round.png
    apple_round2.png

Either shape is fine if you have a choice.

The problem right now is that Apple gives no choice. If they did, I think the overwhelming majority of buyers would go round.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

I'm guessing they made a conscious decision not to go with a round face. My guess is that it would have had to be bigger than the current design, particularly if they would have needed to add lugs for the band mechanism to work, and they did not want to do that.

20. Pupi macrumors regular

Pupi

And I want a round iPad.

Oh, I see that the stretching argument that a circle smartwatch screen can work as well as a squared one already made it here. Good times :D

21. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

The band/bracelet system played a big part I guess but imo it was more to set the apple watch apart from other smart watches ; round screen can show the same information/text (it's not like your got to read an article or twitter timeline on the watch) and will look more classy, I'm not really into the apple watch design but I wanted one from apple and they deliver :) patiently waiting for delivery