Buying an Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mighty Mouse

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Minimoose 360, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I am getting my first Mac :]

I ordered the 17" unibody MacBook Pro on Tuesday, and I can't wait to join the family (own two iPhones and slew of iPods). Anyway that's not what this topic is about.

I am a freshman in college, I have been living with a computer for months. I have an external display (Viewsonic 28", great for a college kid) and will be using it with my new MacBook Pro.

Now the question, obviously I will need a keyboard and mouse. I realize there are probably better keyboards and mice out there than the proprietary Apple ones, but I am bent on going all Apple :rolleyes: Now do you think the wireless keyboard and wireless Mighty Mouse are going to be updated any time soon? I know the cycles about their computers, but what about the peripherals? I have to wait until they release a mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable anyway!! XP

I know that looks like a silly question, but I am a stickler for out-of-date tech. Yes I know the wireless keypad doesn't have a num pad, but I never use that anyway. Thanks in advance.

2. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Don't see the keyboard being updated anytime soon. It's still relatively new. The mouse has been out for some time now and might see a refresh.

You might want to check alternative mice though. I had a MM and was frustrated with it after 6 months when the ball would constantly become unusable and had to be cleaned up. The Logitech MX Revolution is well worth looking at...

3. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Well the keyboard now is fairly new and probably won't be updated any sooner and I wouldn't go for a mighty mouse since it'll experience problems after a while b/c of that little ball that scrolls down and getting stuck...I'd suggest you get a Logitech..:)

4. Mr$Whale macrumors member

The apple wireless keyboard is really nice. Especially good to travel with. I bought a Kensington Slingblade mouse, and it works just like a mouse should :D

As for the displayport, I got a mini DVI cable from apple, then bought a DVI to HDMI cable from http://www.optimization-world.com/ ....free and fast shipping.

5. windels macrumors regular

windels

do realise that DVI doesn't transfer sound, so you'll need an extra cable if you plann on using your macbook on a television or other screen with the speakers built in to them

6. Minimoose 360 thread starter macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Thanks guys. Yea I heard the MM's "nipple" gets dirty. :p

As for the whole DVI HDMI mDisplayport thing, I know about the DVI method but I am waiting for a proprietary solution to reduce cable clutter. Perhaps I won't buy a mighty mouse!

7. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Don't bother with the mighty mouse, the issues are well-documented. Logitech produce better mice, with microsoft not too far behind. The apple wireless keyboard is good though. And as for getting all Apple stuff, you weren't going to have it anyway cause of your monitor lol.

8. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I recently bought the wireless Apple keyboard and so far it is great. It's really small on my table and i can even type with it on my lap (which might not be easy with others due to size). I was also wanting to buy the Apple wireless mouse, but changed my mind due to some friends telling me theirs broke within a couple months so I went for a Logitech bluetooth mouse and I couldn't have been happier. It's a bit programable so you can set things like Expose and other stuff to work with it. The one I'm talking about is here:
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/3287&cl=roeu,en#
    In white, it goes perfectly well with the keyboard as well :D

9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Apple's latest mouse is one of the worst mice ever produced by any company. It gets clogged up with dirt, it fails to recognise clicks properly, it doesn't feel good to hold and it's also way, way more expensive than mice which are much better than it.

Avoid at all costs!

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

+1...the only consolation is that is covered by your applecare warranty.

11. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Since you are getting a laptop, I recommend getting the wireless keyboard because it is small enough to fit in a laptop bag and so easy to type on. I love mine.

The Mighty Mouse - not so much. At first I really liked it but over time I've grown to not like it. The scrollball on it is great to use but its also your worst enemy. The side buttons...forget about it. You have to get yourself carpel-tunnel just to get them to work. And one of my biggest gripes - if you turn it off when not in use, it takes FOREVER for it to reconnect again. I have no idea why, the keyboard connects in an instant but the mouse takes a long time to search over BT. I finally got myself a $49 Logitech laptop mouse, the V450, and it's great (but it does use USB, which takes up a port. But the USB dongle fits inside the mouse when not in use).

I also use the same setup when at home and have my MBP connected to an external monitor. Works great.

12. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

i got a Rocketfish mouse off eBay for $9. It's a great mouse I saw at Best Buy for around $40ish and it looks very similar to the MM. Only difference is it has a scrolling wheel instead of a nipple.

13. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

You will really regret buying the mighty mouse. It's one of the worst mice you can buy.

14. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

MacFormat (a UK based magazine) did a review on a whole bunch of mice and keyboard combinations in their latest edition- you might want to Google their website or see if you can get your hands on a copy.