Buying an eGPU?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Neidrah, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Neidrah macrumors newbie

Hello!

I'm planning on installing an eGPU on my late 2009 Macbook Pro (that I run with Windows 7) to play games such as Guild Wars 2 etc. Do you think it's a good idea, and if so what type of graphic card should I get?

So far I've read that it obviously won't match the performance of an actual internal GPU but that it could still improve my performances by a lot. The thing though is that it will probably be at least 200$ and some time to set it up and my laptop is getting pretty old, so still not sure if it's worth it.

Thoughts?

My Specs:
    MacBookPro 5,3
    Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo P8800 2,66GHz
    4GB RAM
    Geforce 9600M GT

2. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

While there are some options available, they're not very cost effective, and I don't even think they're compatible with your model. The thing is, you'd need an external PCIe slot or a thunderbolt one, and quite honestly, I don't think it's worth it going through all it takes, nevermind the amounts of money you'll be spending...

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You do understand that you need an external screen too?
    With your notebook the only option is one of these viDock things for that slot on the bottom left of your notebook. I think yours should have one.
    Those docks aren't too cheap and the actual speed the GPUs give you are quite limited by the old x1/x2 PCIe standard. It is like x.5-1 by todays PCI.
    Thunderbolt would be much nicer but that still had problems too. You probably can throw away the box once you get a new computer as none would have the slot anymore.
    USB 2 based solutions work for displaying some rather static image at best. They already struggle with hd video and are useless for gaming.

Given that your CPU isn't the best either and in some more CPU heavy games like Skyrim may be a bit on the low end; I would suggest getting a new computer.

If you want gaming, cheap windows notebooks sell for rather little money 600€ with quite a lot of gaming power. Better drivers, better CPU, barely any more money. I think eGPUs aren't work it.
    They maybe once a good Thunderbolt eGPU is out or if you use a USB based one for additional screen space and nothing more.