Buying an "empty" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aquis, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Aquis macrumors member

Hello,

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy an "empty" MacBook Pro directly from Apple? That is, without a Hard Disk or any RAM.

The reason for this is that I've already got these parts, and wondered if I could get the MacBook Pro fairly cheaper if I get it without the parts I already have. Also, if this was to work, do I need someone to install the parts for me so as I do not loose the warranty?

Thanks

2. Josheua macrumors regular

Nope, nothing I have seen on the website points to any sort of "empty" option, and I higly doubt that Apple would provide such a service. (It would have to come through a third party but I am pretty sure they can't buy "empty" macbook pro's either) Apple looks at their products as just that, products, and they come with what they come with (a few options upgradeable), nothing more, nothing less. Look like you have to look for discounts outside of Apple or bite the bullet.

-Josh :apple:

3. 119576 Guest

You can't buy an 'empty' MacBook Pro from Apple, and even if you could; The hard drive in them is not user serviceable, and any work thereupon would void the warranty.

4. Aquis thread starter macrumors member

5. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Honestly, your best bet is to buy a MBP "full" and to swap in your parts (assuming they are better than the stock Apple HDD and RAM) and then sell the Apple parts on eBay or craigslist. Alternatively, keep the MBP as is and sell the parts you already have. The end result is a discounted MBP. As said before, the hard drive is difficult to replace on the MBP, but there are step-by-step instructions with pictures online and you could do it.

-Ado

6. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Apple will not do that, but I'm sure you can find a dealer that is willing to "buy" the spare parts from you; however, you will not benefit 100% but it's still probably better than nothing. But be sure you're buying from authorized dealer, because hard drive swapping voids warranty otherwise.

7. gotzero macrumors 68040

The HDD swap will take less than 15 minutes, and it is not hard. However, you will have a hard time getting warranty work done whether or not Apple is in the legal right to deny you.

It was not a hard choice for me after smashing my warranty by installing a WUXGA screen. Now I am looking at an optibay with a second HDD to continue the spirit of product improvement. ;)

8. BenTehGamer macrumors newbie

where to buy an empty macbook pro shell

does anyone know WHERE to buy an empty macbook pro shell? because i would like to replace the:
    Processor
    RAM
    Video Card
    Hard drive

not really empty, but i would like a macbook pro case that does not carry these items. is there any place that provides what i need?

9. Pixellated macrumors 65816

The CPU and GPU are soldered on to the MacBook Pro.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

A truly "empty" shell would have nothing in it, no logic board, no drives, no battery. You would never find all the parts. You can't really upgrade either the video or cpu even with the standard logic board.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Depending on what computer you have, you could probably scour the repair sites for parts.

12. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Buy a dead or for-parts machine on eBay and do your own gutting.

13. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the hard drive is user replacable. facts check. this thread is somehow strange.

14. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

The thread started in 2007 and HDs then might not have been user replaceable. Now in 2010, HDs are generally user replaceable.

15. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Depends on what you mean by "user servicable". Apple documents hard drive replacement steps on their website. It is considered user replacable, which is probably what you mean.

Hard drives themselves are not user servicable, but the "service" from a user's perspective is to replace the drive with faulty. See previous with respect to drive replacement.