Buying An External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JPM42, Oct 21, 2007.

1. JPM42 macrumors 6502

Hello. I am prepared to make the jump to Leopard next Friday and I am very excited. One of the many reasons that I am excited is, of course, due to Time Machine. The problem is that I do not own any external hard drive. So, for the sake of using that feature, as well as making a back up copy of my current hard drive before installing Leopard, any recommendations would be great. I am currently using an iMac Intel Core Duo 20" with a 250 GB hard drive. I have about 100 GB remaining, so any recommendations on an external hard drive that isn't any more than $150 would be great.

Thanks!

2. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

3. Jookbox macrumors 6502

today i just got a western digital 320gb firewire (MyBook Home) drive. literally, all i did was plug it in, and started to use it. i reformatted to a mac format, but i don't even think that was necessary.

so far so good. under energy savings in system preferences, i unchecked 'put hard disk to sleep' when my computer is plugged in. otherwise there seems to be an initial delay when clicking on my firewire drive