buying an external HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ubercrooner, Sep 15, 2009.

1. ubercrooner macrumors newbie

Hello- I want to buy an external hard drive to back up my music and my personal music recordings as well as pictures, etc. I bought a western digital that I had to return. I need it to be pc/mac compatible but my mac is an OSX 10.3.9 The one I bought was only 10.4.11 or above. I would like to have it USB powered so I can bring my music collection places & just plug into a system. Don't want to spend much over $100. Is this possible? Help. Oh yeah- my pc is Vista and I've got a lot of music I want to put on the new hard drive from my Mac. Thanks

2. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

How much space do you need. Western Digital makes a 500GB USB-powered drive, but 10.3.9 compatibility.

4. ubercrooner thread starter macrumors newbie

500 is fine. Is it PC compatible also? What's it called? THanks

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Try this.

6. ubercrooner thread starter macrumors newbie

7. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

If your not looking to spend to much but just want back ups of your work & music the Western Digital My Passport Essential 500 GB is great and will work with your Mac & Windows. It's simple plug and play 2.0 & they also have a Western Digital My Book Studio Edition 500 GB USB 2.0/FireWire 400/FireWire 800/eSATA. :rolleyes:

8. omarjk macrumors regular

I bought an Icebox which can be coupled with an internal hard drive of your choice, and guarantees FW4/800 compatibility if you ever need it, as well USB of course.

9. SecondDealer macrumors regular

Personally I own a WD 1 TB My book with firewire 400/800 and I have no complaints about it, good luck on your search.