buying an HD TV, advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ceruleanventure, Apr 24, 2007.

1. ceruleanventure macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

I've been considering buying an HDTV to replace my laughably small 9" toshiba tv. I'm a big console gamer and the one thing that's keeping me back is not knowing how well "old" consoles such as my xbox or gamecube will look on an HDTV. I know that the Xbox 360 and PS3 work best on HD TVs but I have no idea what to expect with the consoles I own now. I also have no intention of buying one of the new consoles until their game line up improves.

Should I go ahead and buy an HD TV?

I should mention that I don't want to buy a "standard" tv right now, because I feel it's a waste of money due to the approaching HD takeover.

2. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

(I think this is in a wrong forum...?)

Anyhow -
    based on what systems you have now - you'll see a little difference on HD vs SD in terms of quality, but size...good god man. 9" tv and you're a self-proclaimed "big console gamer"? :p

Get another tv.
    If you don't want to spend the bucks on an HD set you can at least get a 27" SD set for around $200.

We bought a Samsung 30" Widescreen SlimFit (CRT) HDTV 9 months ago for $799 and it's a great tv. We wanted something that would fit in our entertainment center, not be too expensive, and replace our broken 27" Sony SD set (that I've had for around 8 years). On the 360, it's a major difference playing on an HD set.

On the regular Xbox, it has some difference...namely the games that will display in 720p. Ps2 and Gamecube will output in 480p and I think some Ps2 games will output in 720p but it's few and far between. No matter what system you use, if you don't use component cables, you'll see no difference in PQ (picture quality).

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

The last gen consoles won't look so good. They'll show their age, anyway, that much is certain.

My advice for HDTV buying is: 1080p, don't buy plasma, DLP or LCD only. That basically sets you into the 37" and up (and $1800 and up) range. But that's just me. Gotta have that quality.