Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjwebber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Hey guys. I've always read these forums, but this is my first post.

Anyways. I currently have a Macbook Pro 2.16 Core2Duo and I am selling it and buying two machines

My initial thoughts were, "buy the new Macbook Pro when it comes out".

But I decided I wanted a more powerful studio computer and a more portable laptop.

Here's my plan:
20" 2.4gHz iMac w/4gb (crucial)
2.2gHz Black Macbook w/4gb (crucial)
OR
1.8gHz Macbook Air 80gb HD

I'm waiting to actually play around with the Macbook Air on friday to see if I like the mass of it or not

What are your thoughts on buying the iMac...do you really think an update could be coming out soon?

Any other system "Bundles" you guys might recommend instead?

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Without knowing your usage, I can't say which to choose. If you're constantly on the go and find yourself regularly taking a portable with you everywhere, then the MBA is probably a good choice if you only need to do things like check email, surf the web, music, etc.
Get the MB if you want to do more while mobile.

Instead of an iMac, what about keeping the MBP and running it in clamshell mode as your powerful workstation. Hooked up to an external monitor, plus keyboard and mouse, and it should serve you for a while.

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
I would personally go with the Macbook, but thats because it is already so thin, light, and portable. I played around with one a few weeks ago at the Apple store and I honestly was shocked how thin and light it was. (I currently use a VAIO- its about 3 inches thick and weighs 9 pounds) Also I would be afraid of such a new and drastic machine as far as potential problems in the beginning. But hey thats just me. :)

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
Congrats on your first post. How do you feel about your MBP regarding size? The MB is not much smaller. I think the iMac is a very good choice. If cost is a concern, check for refurbs. I think once you test the MBA, you'll know which laptop to get. Good luck and happy shopping.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
If money isn't a concern, then MBA for sure with your iMac. Otherwise, regular MB, although I'm not sure selling your mbp makes too much sense like someone said. I personally prefer having only one computer, less syncing involved.

If anything, I would throw the MBP into clamshell like someone else said, and get the Macbook Air now... that way you can wait until about June to get the imac, that way if there are updates you can sell your MBP then and get the iMac. Buying two computers at the same time never really seemed like a good idea to me, rather have the cycles off by 6 months or a year in terms of buying.

GL!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.