Buying an iMac - Apple vs. MacMall vs. Best Buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by genecarangal, Oct 29, 2011.

1. genecarangal macrumors newbie

I want to buy a new iMac in the next couple of weeks. My last 2 computer purchases (a MB pro in 2009 and a Mac Mini in 2007) have been from MacMall. Looking for feedback on buying an iMac from the Apple online store and Best Buy.

Thanks in advance.

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Can't really go wrong with either choice, but I'd stick w/ MacMall simply for the price (plus no tax).

3. svenmany macrumors newbie

Here's something you might consider. I've purchased many times from a great reseller, PowerMax.

I had a problem with a peripheral out of warranty. It was the mini display port to dual link DVI adapter. Apple really tried helping me. They'd worked with me on and off for three years sending replacement after replacement and me procrastinating on the next iteration.

It was a well know issue which they "kind of" acknowledged. I ultimately asked for a refund. They said that I didn't purchase from them so they couldn't give me a refund. I certainly couldn't go back to PowerMax and expect them to give me a refund.

Apple eventually credited me $100 towards a new monitor. An expensive resolution but the best I could do.

Here's another example. I bought an iMac from PowerMax. The next week the new version came out. In the Apple store they offered to swap it. When I told them I got it from a reseller they said they couldn't swap it.

I'm not recommending either way but I did want to throw this out for consideration.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you haven't had a problem with MacMall, I would stay with them. Their prices are better than Apple's and BB's.

5. piatti, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

Does MacMall provide 18 month financing? (like BB)

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They offer Bill Me Later but I'm not sure what is the time frame.

7. jcbhammond macrumors member

If you go with Best Buy you can get Reward Zones points to help pay for extra accessories down the road. If it weren't for the EDU discount, I probably would have chosen Best Buy when I purchased mine.

8. jigsb007 macrumors 6502

Last week only i bought iMAC27 i5 from BB, i checked everywhere, even on MACMAll . MM has the same price as BB, not a penny less.
    The best thing about BB is you get imac, right on the spot. no waiting for 2-3 days.
    Yes, you will need to pay tax which was for imac ( $1607 ) aroudn $130.

But, if you have BB credit card, then they have special Financing for iMacs. ( 36 Monts, 0% , NOTE here, NOT 18 months, its 36 months...GR8 deal )

And you get $30 in Rewards...) and you have 14 days to return , no restocking Fees...

Thats the another story, that i return it after a week, just bcoz there are rumors that there might be new imacs ..nay be in next couple of months...and if not new, atlest refreshed config...

All the best.

9. genecarangal thread starter macrumors newbie

I wound up buying the iMac 27 i5 from BB 2 days ago. It was on sale for $1607 +$130 sales tax. Thanks for everybody's feedback!

10. chuffman15 macrumors regular

microcenter if you have one. out my way, they sell all macs for $200 off apple retail. they dont advertise. try them

11. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

One thing to consider is if you have a computer that you could trade-in. Bestbuy is willing to give me $536 for a 2006 MacBook ( with my own upgrade ram and hd) plus another $148 for a 2003 PowerBook G4. That's close to $700 in gift card /credit towards a new Mac.