Buying an iMac from US and shipping it to AU?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dirtyhen, Sep 30, 2009.

1. dirtyhen macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I'm so sorry if this questions is repeated. I did a search but haven't found any relevant information so I wanna start a new thread about it.

Here is my question:

I want to buy a new iMac (this is my first time to buy an iMac, I have a macbook black). I'm living in Australia now and the price here is very high compared to other countries (US, SG, etc.). So I want to purchase an iMac from US. My cousin is living there and he could help me. But I'm wondering about shipping cost, import tax, how safe it is to ship an iMac that far, etc. I did go to some US post sites and estimated the cost and it's about $300-350. Is it a proper price?

Also, these days I followed the rumours and heard that there will be an update of iMac soon, the lifecycle is also ending, so I would love to wait for a new one. But please advise me first. I'm really appreciated.

Thank you.

2. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

The USPS will probably ship it for something between $150-$200US. The big problem you are going to run into will be paying the custom duties and VAT in your country.

In might just be best to buy in your own country.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich