Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buying an iMac: Magic Mouse 2 or Magic Trackpad 2?

• Magic Mouse 2

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • Magic Trackpad 2

Votes: 59 68.6%

• Total voters

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Simple! You can also assume you have BetterTouchTool ready to use.

Which one do you chose, and why?

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Trackpad is the worst UI tool. Desktops have mice. Phones have multi touch. Laptops are stuck with trackpads. Not sure what the appeal is, but clearly some people enjoy them.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Personally, I find the Apple Magic Mouse 2 much more precise to use, and actually prefer to use it as opposed to the trackpad on my Apple notebooks; I have an Apple Magic Trackpad 2, also, for use with the MBP that serves as a desktop replacement, but have pretty much set it aside and rarely use it at all. Everyone is different, though, and has different needs and preferences. OP, this is one of those situations where really, in the end, only YOU can decide what works best for you!

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
I use both the Magic Trackpad 2 and the Magic Mouse 2 on side by side iMacs. I prefer the Trackpad over the Magic Mouse. There are lots more gestures on the Trackpad. I even still use the Mighty Mouse on my 2007 iMac!

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Personally, I don't use Apple input devices anymore. I spent too much time dealing with problems over the years. If it comes with a keyboard and mouse, I'd get the cheapest one, and then use my own keyboard and mouse (or one from a company I like).

But, if you like Apple devices, and were only choosing between those two items, if it were me, I'd go with a mouse over a trackpad.

I find trackpads awkward when they're detached from the keyboard. If they're built in to the keyboard, then it's better. But, there's still a lot of times that they get awkward, particularly scrolling long documents.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I've been using trackpads for years as they are faster and easier for me to use than a mouse. Personally I prefer the unattached placement options. I have a logitech keyboard with built in trackpad based on some recommendations here and its in the junk box, just too awkward.

If your workflow requires constant pointing device interaction for long periods of time, the mouse is less tiring. But then it has limited functions.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Yes.

There are 'best use' cases for each... depending on what you are doing... I have and use both... and would honestly be lost were I to lose either.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I voted trackpad, because I never could get used to the Magic Mouse (found it too low and heavy, and my hand would cramp after use). I am using a cheap bluetooth mouse with my iMac, and it works just fine.

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
You could probably use the trackpad to move the cursor and the button on the mouse for easy clicking.
[doublepost=1528610607][/doublepost]
Trackpad is the worst UI tool. Desktops have mice. Phones have multi touch. Laptops are stuck with trackpads. Not sure what the appeal is, but clearly some people enjoy them.
The trackpad can be handy to eliminate risk of carpal tunnel from using the mouse alone.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I remember using computers before the mouse and after the little rat arrival trying almost every kind of input device only to end back to the mouse. I could never comfortable with the any kind of trackpad as an input device.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Trackpad 2 combined with twelve south docking station.

Trackpad 2 for $50? AUD$179.00 Down Under and USD$125 Amazon US.

Apple offers the option to purchase the IMac with either a trackpad or a mouse. The option with the trackpad costs $50 more than the option with the mouse - because the trackpad costs $50 more than the mouse ($149 vs $99).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Magic mouse 2 or magic trackpad 2? Although my newly purchased 21.5" iMac came with a magic mouse 2, both pointing device options suffer from poor ergonomics. I much prefer a traditional mouse and a classic IBM thinkpad Trackpoint. Trackpoint for text cursor movement and scrolling, a traditional mouse for graphics work.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
I personally would avoid both options. They are both ergonomic disasters and it bewilders me how Apple can design mice so unergonomic and sell it to the general public. Apple are seriously challenged when it comes to designing ergonomic mice and have been since the late 90s.

Reactions: ProTruckDriver

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Always interesting to see people opinions on various UI devices, and how some cannot see past their own finger tips. As in life, some things work better for some than others. I've bought boxes of various keyboards, mice, trackpads and even a couple of tablets, all while trying to see if they improve my experience. Happy to have had the choice.

Reactions: Matz

mpe

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I am using Magic Trackpad 2 exclusively now. Primarily due to gestures (switching between full screen apps, pinch to zoom, scrolling, Mission Control, force press). I can move between my Macbook Pro and iMac Pro easily.

If I were using a mouse it wouldn't be the Magic Mouse which I find terrible (weird shape, too low, not comfortable, hard to use gestures, flawed charging port location). I would rather have almost anything from Logitech MX series. Even a cheap one is better than the Apple Mouse

Reactions: ElectronGuru

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
WXfuedi.gif

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Get the Magic Trackpad 2

The Magic Mouse 2 is very uncomfortable and you would stop using it after a day and buy a new mouse anyway.
[doublepost=1528650788][/doublepost]
The survey should be edited to include an option for both as well as an option for neither.

Well, "none" is not an option since he has to choose which one that comes with his new iMac

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
I have a fingertip grip and I also use Logitech mice.

Apple's magic mouse is noisy (unless you use tap to click) and is quite heavy in comparison to a wired mouse. I don't like the shape, but I know a lot of people that love it.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I personally would avoid both options. They are both ergonomic disasters and it bewilders me how Apple can design mice so unergonomic and sell it to the general public. Apple are seriously challenged when it comes to designing ergonomic mice and have been since the late 90s.

I have no problems with either... both work well and have caused me no discomfort or other hand/wrist malady... been using MagicMouse and Apple Trackpads for almost 10 years now... with a properly set up and ergonomic workstation, there are no issues to be had, IMO.
[doublepost=1528663656][/doublepost]
Get the Magic Trackpad 2

The Magic Mouse 2 is very uncomfortable and you would stop using it after a day and buy a new mouse anyway.
[doublepost=1528650788][/doublepost]

Well, "none" is not an option since he has to choose which one that comes with his new iMac

YMMV. As stated above, I've been using and loving my Magic Mouse 1 / 2 for almost 10 years. My only complaint is on MM2 and the location of the charging port.

Reactions: Precursor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.