Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knowledg333

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
Hi Everyone,

I'm itching to buy a new Mac; and I have my heart set on a 24" iMac.

What do you all think of the timing? Is now a good time to buy? Are there any major updates coming in the next 2 or 3 months?

Also, can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the 2.66 GHz model when compared to the 2.93 GHz model? Those are the two price points I am considering.

Thanks! :cool:

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
if you want to buy an imac buy it!

Dont let people persuade you that an update is coming soon otherwise you'll be waiting for ever and a day to get your new mac!

kindablue09

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
I love the screen :)

If you are a college student or an educator of a sort (or you know one), jump in on the deal and get a free ipod before sept. 9th.
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campaigns/back_to_school?cid=WWW-NAUS-BTS20090507-00032
Plus I believe you can get a 100$ rebate on a printer too.

As far as the models go... it will all depend on what you use it for. All apple products can do basic web browsing, movies, word processing, music, etc.

Personally I use my imac all the time as my tv - it works great!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What do you all think of the timing? Is now a good time to buy? Are there any major updates coming in the next 2 or 3 months?

Nope. Q1 2010 as earliest.

Also, can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the 2.66 GHz model when compared to the 2.93 GHz model? Those are the two price points I am considering.

2.93GHz has 300MHz (9.3%) faster CPU and better GPU (GT120 vs 9400M). 2.66GHz will be fine for you unless you play modern games. :apple:

knowledg333

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
I love the screen :)

Personally I use my imac all the time as my tv - it works great!

That's what I love about it as well. And the small footprint. :)

Nope. Q1 2010 as earliest.

Really? No updates/upgrades before Christmas? :eek:

2.93GHz has 300MHz (9.3%) faster CPU and better GPU (GT120 vs 9400M). 2.66GHz will be fine for you unless you play modern games. :apple:

While I do like the extra CPU power, I am a bit concerned with the video card. I do like playing newer games, but would be more into using the computer for Adobe Photoshop CS4 to do graphic work for my own health product company, and possibly some very minor video editing. I will likely be using a Final Cut Suite (not sure yet though). Does that change the game a bit? :eek:

Blair230

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
Near Philly
While I do like the extra CPU power, I am a bit concerned with the video card. I do like playing newer games, but would be more into using the computer for Adobe Photoshop CS4 to do graphic work for my own health product company, and possibly some very minor video editing. I will likely be using a Final Cut Suite (not sure yet though). Does that change the game a bit? :eek:

If you do like gaming and for photoshop, Id actually go with either the GT130 (or if you can afford it...the Radeon 4850). Theyd cover those needs for a few years.

If not, definitely the GT120 over the 9400M.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.