Buying an iMac...The Lion freebie?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Theydonboi, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Theydonboi macrumors member

I'm going to be buying an iMac shortly. I also have a Macbook with Snow Leopard. Ideally, I'd want to upgrade this to Lion at some point in the future.

I'm a little unclear about what Apple will supply with the iMac once Lion is released. Will Lion be available on a physical media (ie. CD) for reinstall purposes and, if so, can I use this to upgrade my Macbook?

I realise it's only $29, but it's a bit of a nuisance if I have to spend money on a OS that I already own just to upgrade my Macbook.

2. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

I think that Apple sees when you purchased the iMac and if it was after the WWDC 2011 when they announced of Mac OSX Lion you'll be able to download it for free in the Mac App Store, I'm not sure it's the way it's gonna work but that's how I think they'll do that. And there won't be any CDs.

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

you only will own 1 license for LION and not the operating system itself and as for $29 you only get 1 license for 1 Mac, not 1 license for 100 Mac's of your choice , you want Lion and you respect sort of Apples eula then you need to buy a license for each of your Mac's

4. rj86 macrumors member

For what it's worth: the restore discs that come with your new mac won't work with a MB Pro. You'll get an error saying 'not compatible blah blah' and an option to reboot/startup disk.

5. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

I thought the whole point of Lion, unlike previous OSX releases, is that it's one purchase but multiple installs on all your Apple computers.

Also, for ,the original OP:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

6. KaPOWitsCHRIS macrumors 6502

KaPOWitsCHRIS

I was under the impression that you could install Lion on the 5 Macs that are associated with your Apple ID...

7. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

The devil's in the detail, but that sounds about right.:)

8. Saphire macrumors member

Saphire

I bought a imac last week after reading that I will be able to download Lion for free when it's available. Will I be able to make a restore disk, I know that once lion is loaded if for some reason I ever have to restore using my original disks, won't it put snow leopard back.

9. Theydonboi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks spcdust, that's what I needed to know. Thought it was unlikely that Apple would charge for multiple copies, but was just a little unclear about how I'd claim an upgrade.