Buying an iMac tomorrow... Upgrading to Lion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Moria, May 31, 2011.

  1. Moria macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 7, 2005
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #1
    I'm buying the 21.5" iMac tomorrow but I've just seen what's going on at WWDC next week and was wondering if I should hold off in case that Lion is going to be released then? I don't want to buy a brand new computer for the OS to be out of date only a few days (or even weeks) later.

    I remember that when I bought my first Mac just before the launch of 10.4 (Tiger?) they gave me an upgrade disc to Tiger with it and I'm pretty sure that people who bought it just before the release got sent the disc afterwards.

    Is this still the case?
     
  2. Repo macrumors 6502a

    Repo

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2009
  3. Database macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2009
    #3
    If it were me I'd just go ahead and buy the computer.

    The upgrades are usually only $29.99 and they usually will go back and allow anyone that has purchased a Mac within a certain period get a free copy.
     
  4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #4
    They are not usually 29.99. In the past, they have been 130
     
  5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2003
    #5
    It was $29 once, because SL offered no new features. In the past, the Up-to-Date program goes into effect the day of the announcement, for Macs purchased on or after that date. Wait for June 6.
     
  6. Repo macrumors 6502a

    Repo

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2009
    #6
    $29.00, and that was only Snow Leopard.
     
  7. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2011
    #7
    Actually, sometimes is doesn't go by when the iMac is ordered, it goes by when it actually ships. If you buy it in store, that is a different story. BTO iMacs are not charged until it is actually shipped. For me, I purchased a BTO 2011 iMac with SSD. It wil not be shipping until June 21, so my credit card won't be charged until the 21st. That is my start date, not when I ordered. So if Lion is announced on June 6 and released, my iMac would be eligible for a free Lion disc, if it was not included when it was finally sent.
     
  8. DJHack macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 6, 2011
    Location:
    Cardiff, Wales
    #8
    I hadn't realised that. My iMac is 'on hold' BTO one too. Would be nice together free upgrade too.

    Especially relevant if Lion needed for the 27" SSD orders I guess too
     
  9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

    NutsNGum

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #9
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    Wait for back to school and get the free iPod while you're at it!
     
  10. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

    reclusive46

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2011
    Location:
    Canada
    #10
    Last time it happened It was within in the 14 days. So I just called up and said that I'd return it and the reorder it if they didn't give it to me for free lol
     
  11. gmans46 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2011
  12. wxman2003 Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2011
    #12
    I didn't bother waiting. I bought my imac a few days ago at Best Buy since it was $60 off the regular Apple price. I'm not going to jump in and buy Lion right away, as there probably will have some initial bugs, unless they offer it for free since I recently purchased the imac. If not, even if it costs $120, my $60 savings will only make it cost $60. I prefer to wait to upgrade to Lion after the bulk of the patches come out to fix the nuisance problems.
     
  13. JamDonut macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2011
    Location:
    England, UK
    #13
    seeing as 6th June is only 6 days away, i'd say wait untill then because you will at least know when lion is being released and you can re-consider then?

    if it's $100 + to upgrade to lion and it's out within 2 weeks, i wouldn't say it's worth taking the risk, just me personally.

    Then again, i like to stick with the older OS for a couple of weeks at least until all of my many apps support the new OS, in which case if i were in you position i'd be waiting at least a month so i'd get it now, so swings and roundabouts really, all things for you to consider, if you want lion ASAP definitely wait 5/6 days! just my two cents :)
     
  14. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

    Icy1007

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2011
    Location:
    Cleveland, OH
    #14
    Lion will not be coming out until at least mid-August.
     
  15. Cougarcat macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2003
    #15
    No, end of June is more likely.
     
  16. iMikeT macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2006
    Location:
    California
    #16

    You sound so certain. How do you know this tidbit of information to be a fact?
     
  17. Cougarcat macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2003
    #17
    I never said it's a fact, just that it's more likely than mid-August.
     
  18. iMikeT macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2006
    Location:
    California
    #18

    You sound so certain again. Fact or not, Lion has the same likelihood of being released in mid-August as it does in late-June or even some time in July or as late as September at this point. For you to say that any month is more likely than the other is nothing more than speculation. Would you agree that you are being speculative?
     
  19. Cougarcat macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2003
    #19
    Of course. That's all we can do here anyways.:rolleyes: But there are certainly indications that Lion will be released sooner rather than later, the biggest (IMO) is the release note in the 10.6.8 beta about the Mac App Store being enhanced for Lion downloads.
     
  20. Nermal Moderator

    Nermal

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #20
    The published timeframe on Apple's NZ site is by the end of August. I believe that the US site strays into September due to varying season definitions.
     
  21. iMikeT macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2006
    Location:
    California
    #21

    So... still think that end of June is still the likely public release of Lion?
     
  22. HBOC macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Location:
    SLC
    #22
    They said July and it will be download only from the App Store.
     
  23. Icaras macrumors 603

    Icaras

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    Location:
    California, United States
    #23
    What part of "likely" didn't you understand from his first post? It was just a personal and educated guess. No need to get on his case for it.
     
  24. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

    onthecouchagain

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2011
    #24
    From Appleinsider: http://www.appleinsider.com/article...0_7_lion_for_29_99_only_in_mac_app_store.html

    "The Mac OS X Lion Up-To-Date upgrade is available at no additional charge via the Mac App Store to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request. "
     
  25. Cougarcat macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2003
    #25
    Ha, well it was more likely than August. :p

    I'm not complaining, gives them more time to make it polished.
     

Share This Page