Buying an Imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spincr, Oct 18, 2011.

1. spincr macrumors member

spincr

Hi there, and thanks in advance for reading and / or answering my questions.

Later today i'm going to someone to check out his Imac and perhaps buy it from him.

Are there certain things i should check for?

Obviously i'll check the cd-rom, screen, housing and external cosmetics. Also i'll ask him about the box and the stuff that came with it. I'll check out Snow Leopard (which is currently installed) and i'll have my way with it for some minutes, so i'll find out pretty fast if its an "OK" machine.

However i'm sure you guys are way more experienced with these kinds of things so therefor i'm asking you guys!

Help me out (and time is of the essence, i'm leaving in about 2 hours:) THANK you!

2. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

See if he has apple care...

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

-check if it has applecare
    -bring USB devices to check each port.
    -make sure the screen has no dead pixels/yellow tint
    -check ethernet port, firewire etc.

4. spincr thread starter macrumors member

spincr

And also IC3D: thanks for responding!

I don't think it has apple care but i also own a macbook pro (2010) which never had apple care, and i bought that in stores (and its still working great).

I'll make sure to bring along a usb stick and some other cables. That's a good idea! Also dead pixels should show up real fast right, i'll keep an eye out for those!

Any more parts that need special attention?

5. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

Np. That's pretty much all I see to look for.

6. spincr, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

spincr thread starter macrumors member

spincr

Thanks, i can't wait to get there and check it out. It concerns a 27" imac with Snow Leopard (no thunderbolt ports so from 09/10 - right?), Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 processor, 4gig RAM, 1TB harddrive and also a keyboard and a magic mouse for all in all 900,- euro.

So i figured that to be a pretty sweet deal if it all works! So i can't wait to get there and check it out:)

I ended up buying it! It doesn't have a scratch on it, all the ports i checked (which were the usb ports , audio out and just now (at home) the mini display port)) were working. The keyboard and mouse are also in fine condition. Thank you both for the help! I'll be good for a while;)