Buying an Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PurdueBoy, Nov 14, 2011.

1. PurdueBoy macrumors newbie

So I have decided to buy an iMac even though I despise Mac OS. Sadly all the design firms seem to use them and require familiarity in OSX environments.

My question is I am going to be purchasing it sometime between June-August will there be a resigned iMac released before or during that time frame? I have been reading around and apparently an over hall is happening 2012 Q2-3.

Any information would be appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why do you despise Mac OS X? Is that an emotional response based on a lack of familiarity, or do you have some facts on which to base your opinion?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. PurdueBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

I am very against cloud computing, and having such a tight hold over Devs. I am a big fan of iOs. I have been using Mac OS selectively over the years and have never been satisfied with its functionality or style. Windows 8 may suffer from said problems as well so I might be trying out more Linux distros.

I understand it is quite easy to dual boot Windows and OSX is tribooting possible with Linux?

5. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

6. PurdueBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Firms don't let me use pirated software and I think that would be along the same lines.

Anyway can we get back to the original question. Will the redesigned or updated iMac be available within my time frame?

7. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

To view histroical patterns of iMac updates, surf: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

As seen within this link, there's a pattern of 273 days. If you don't really need an iMac until June - Aug 2012, me thinks you would have crossed 1 (possibly 2) iMac update "averages".

Suggest waiting until you really need one, then decide to buy (or wait).

Your call....

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you really think anyone in this forum knows what Apple will do? People can guess, but historically, most guesses are wrong. Only Apple knows.

9. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Yes. Apple will release a Steve Jobs Memorial iMac on Oct 5, 2012 that can triple boot OSX, Windows and Linux. Does that make your decision that you don't have to make until at least June of next year any easier?

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

:confused:

11. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

:D:p Now that is some funny stuff. Great answer. :p:D

12. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

+1

iOS is more Cloud Computing than OSX any day of the week...

13. warvanov macrumors 6502a

I have mine preordered and reserved already.

14. PurdueBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

And iOs is popular and has tons of apps unlike OSX.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This comment is hysterically false! Someone has their head in the sand!

16. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It's quite obvious you have no idea what you're talking about and have various preconceived and false ideas. What's worse is that you refuse to even listen when someone shows you that your ideas are wrong. Why even bother posting here?

17. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't like OS X's style? And you're a designer? Can't do nothing for you man.

18. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Nobody knows but Apple. The best thing for you to do would be to look at the MacRumors Buying Guide. They have a timeline of when Apple products usually get updated. And even looking at that could be wrong, so I guess you'd just have to wait...

19. mrsavage1 macrumors regular

20. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You do know all cloud options are totally not mandatory. Just don't use them. Most business' have them locked down anyway and you wont even be admin on your account. The fact that you are a designer and hate OS X is hysterical as it is arguably the most thought out and well designed OS to date. But if you are even slightly talented I know MS can use you. Come move out here. They need all the help they can get on account of their love of primary color design.

21. PurdueBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

So iOs doesn't have a lot more apps then android? And OSX has more applications than windows? This is true? I hope not because someone doesn't know how to do math...

----------

Yes, because all designers like the same things and have the same vision that's why every product is exactly the same....

22. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

These statements are illogical at best. First OP hate OSX due to cloud support :confused:

Now .. iOS also has cloud support, OP said that it has so many apps. So why not saying that at the first place? And Linux for sure has less apps support than OSX. Windows 8 will always have more support than any other OS out there, backward compatibility and all.

So yes, this statement is confusing.

And back to topic, no we don't know when the new iMac will be released, but it won't in near future, if it will .. there will be rumors flying around just before new releases, as usual.

But if you don't really like OSX, maybe a non Apple solution will fit you best

23. srxtr macrumors 6502a

Wait, so you don't like Mac OS X because of an optional feature?

Don't get a Mac. Please.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is not what you said. You said:
    iOS is popular. So is Mac OS X.
    iOS has "tons of apps". So does Mac OS X.

Your statement said nothing about Android or Windows. Say what you mean and mean what you say.
    No, apparently someone doesn't know how to communicate effectively. :rolleyes:

25. PurdueBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you expect to compare something without its competitors? Are you under the influence? Mac OSX devices compared to Windows devices? Idk who has more I bet its close...not.