Buying an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TheiPodPerson, Dec 7, 2011.

1. TheiPodPerson macrumors newbie

Do you guys think it is a good idea to wait for the next gen iMac or buy one soon (January)?

Also, has anyone used the esata turnkey from OWC on their iMac?

Thanks!
    Jordan :apple:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Check out the buyer's guide as to estimate a possible refresh.

Bottom line is if you need one now, buy one, if you can wait, then wait.

3. Tonecrafter macrumors member

I'm seriously considering a new iMac too, but I'm worried. I see many topics on bad screens and freezes. Sigh.

4. srxtr macrumors 6502a

If you're gonna buy early 2012 anyway, I'd wait.

----------

3 words:

App Lec Are

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

If you are not in a rush then based on the Buyer's Guide and latest rumors I'd at least wait until January/February. But if you need it now, buy it now - if you play the waiting game too much all you'll end up doing is just that - waiting!

6. Tonecrafter macrumors member

Oh, if/when I get an iMac I will surely get applecare too. But, from what I've read... this "condensation" problem that has been seen can be fixed...but come back later on. Just concerns me is all.

7. Kerel macrumors member

New iMac's will come with Intel Ivy Bridge CPU's.
    Those cpu are rumored to be introduced in the second quarter of 2012.
    Ivy Bridge looks promising but current iMac's with Sandy Bridge CPU's are already great.
    If you can wait another 4/5 months thats up to you.
    But who knows what's going to be updated to?

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

News on the web says Ivy Bridge will not be out till May 2012, so no new iMac before that.

9. TheiPodPerson thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, good points! I think Im just going to get one now, what do I have to lose. If it can run FCP/Adobe fast with no lag im fine!

10. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

Don't be.
    While I'm not saying you won't have any problems with an iMac, don't judge them entirely by the threads seen here, the forum is bound to be full of topics about people's problems.

There's not much point in people starting new topics just to say how fantastic their iMac is and how it's had no problems. Similarly there's not much point posting in one of the said 'problem' topics stating that you don't have the problem. It's not particularly helpful or interesting information, so there's bound to be a huge bias towards the kind of topics posted.

11. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

i made a thread concerning this very issue a couple of weeks ago. In the end i decided 3 or even 4 months without a new mac was too much to bear. And bear in mind that ivy is just the die shrink, it won't be a revelation like sandy was. So I said sod it, and ordered a new 2 gig gfx,i7, 8 gig iMac and I'm utterly delighted. my advice is don't deny yourself a few months of lovely new mac ownership, just buy it.

12. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i just got a new imac last week...thank god i didnt wait! this thing is AMAZING!

13. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

see? it's not just me.

just buy the bally thing!

14. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Yeah buy now! We just ordered two 27" 3.1 with the 6970m to replace our 2007 24" iMacs.
    I am so excited to get the new ones. Especially, when I see the how much faster they are than last years. I can't imagine what the difference will be with our current ones.

I thought for a minute about waiting but I am not a very patient person.

I don't think the iMacs will be updated until maybe May or so and even then Not sure if Ivy Bridge would be worth the wait. What I read is maybe a 15% increase in performance, though Graphically they will be better. But I think that benefits the Intel Video Chipset and not necessarily the discrete AMDs that are in the iMacs. Laptops with integrated graphic chipsets would benefit more... I think...

15. jertronic macrumors member

+1 I purchased a new base model 21.5 in November. Using this thing is complete joy. It flies!! All of my home videos have been migrated and the iMovie projects are just beginning.

It's a personal decision, but waiting for a new desktop computer redesign is much different than waiting for a new smart phone redesign. As I have expressed multiple times in different threads I share the opinion that the next iMac won't be ground breaking. Desktop technology is what it is. Phones are still changing rapidly, desktops not so much.

Do what makes you comfortable.

16. Tonecrafter macrumors member

You're right. I know I shouldn't base my thoughts solely off of what I see here, but its things like the link below that have me worried. I don't want to deal with that.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1101370

17. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I would wager it is a very small percentage of iMacs that have that problem. I would also think if you get an iMac with the problem you can take it in and have a Genious fix it for you.

Things like this, was a small reason I went with a Refurbished iMacs. Of course the lower cost played the MAJOR role in it. But from what I have read and been told a refurb model gets more personal attention to than what gets cranked over the normal assembly line. So I would think things like this might get caught whereas it could be overlooked with the random QC checks.

18. TheManofSteel macrumors newbie

19. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

20. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

21. gocsan macrumors member

gocsan

The company I work for, we have about 15 iMacs, most are the 27 inch ones and some are 24 inch. About half of those 15 have this screen smudging issue and it does seem to manifest itself over time. The worse are the 24 inch ones as they've been around longer and it does get really bad. Some of my friends haven't had this issue, but perhaps it's because it's their personal computer and they obviously don't leave their iMacs on as long as iMacs in offices. I want to buy an iMac too, but this smudging problem is just too much for me to bear. I'm happy to just hang around until the 2012 iMacs come out and read more reviews before I buy.

22. mac mac mac macrumors regular

I was going to wait until the 2012 myself before I retire my early 2008 MacBook Pro, which is crawling when I use Aperture 3 or Photoshop CS5. But since my boss told me he's buying me a computer for Christmas, so I pulled the trigger, and ordered a 27" iMac from B&H this morning for $2,249 with i7 and 2GB of video ram. I also picked up Apple Care for $60 if I purchase it with the computer, so I did. $60 is a steal!

3-4 months is still a long time to wait. When the 2012 model comes out, then you may want the late 2012 or 2013 model. Then you will never have a new computer. Treat yourself something nice this Christmas and go buy an iMac, or have someone to buy it for you :D

23. jertronic macrumors member

Good point made by the newbie. If you wait until 2012 Q2 for the next iMac you might very well be faced with the following:

The next iMac refresh will be nothing more than a simple processor bump (sandy bridge). You will be faced with the same dilemma all over again. It is likely that you might then feel the urge to wait until next refresh yet again. This might be true if we don't get the full "redesign" at the next refresh.

I bought my first iMac last month so part of my opinion is a lame attempt to justify my purchase. But, this machine is such a pleasure to work with.