Buying an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ModestMoo, Apr 8, 2012.

1. ModestMoo macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

Hi guys,

I'm going to buy an 27" iMac next week, but I just had a thought, should I buy it or should I wait for next gen iMacs? What do you thing updates would be like? All new design or just better specs?

What do you think?

2. 184550 Guest

If you need it now, buy it now. Otherwise, I'd wait.

The most interesting rumor I remember reading a while back was the possibility of an integrated TV function.

3. Imaginethe macrumors regular

I have been waiting since December, I should have bought then. As it is now I am waiting for the new ones.

As said above if you need to buy now do so. If you can wait it maybe worth doing so then you can make a decision on whether get this current or the next. Hopefully they aren't far away now.

4. Bear macrumors G3

It depends on which rumors you believe. Some say it will be even thinner than the current model. For an iMac, the biggest question is whether or not it will include USB 3.0. Other questions include the base memory size, which graphics options and the price for SSD from Apple. (Yes, I know Apple is probably overpriced on SSDs, but you never know if it's by a small amount or a big premium until they release it.)

If you need it right away, there's probably no reason to wait. If your current system is holding out fine, it's probably worth waiting.

5. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

If you plan on buying a stock iMac then the discounted Apple refurbished iMac would be a good choice right now.

There should be new models pretty soon going by past releases.

6. michaelonghurst macrumors newbie

I can't bring myself to buy one with the possibility of a new model out soon.

I'm looking forward to getting my first Mac though.

7. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

If you can wait I would. If not then the current machines are great. I bought my 2011 iMac in October and have been very happy with it. I love the all in one design, its clean and modern, wireless keyboard and trackpad are awesome it keeps my desk clutter free. If you buy a current machine it will be just as nice and just as powerful when the update comes out. Plus this isn't such a major update as to render the current machines obsolete. Either way you can't really go wrong, and both roads lead to happiness.

8. roanmartigan macrumors member

How on earth is that the biggest question ? It will have a fast data connection, USB, FW or TB. That is for sure. If that is the biggest question, expect a pretty boring upgrade.

9. Lynn Belvedere macrumors regular

TB is useless, unless you are a billionaire and don't mind paying insane prices for external drives. USB3 is very important. PCs got it a year ago.

10. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Do you need the computer immediately, or is this just a regular update/purchase?

If it is the latter, of course ... wait for the update. You should aware though that Apple will only use regular Ivy Bridge dekstop CPU, means impossible you're gonna get unlocked one with K suffix like i7 - 3770K or some sort, but it's very possible to get one with S suffix :p

Note that you won't notice any major improvement on CPU performance compared to Sandy Bridge equivalent, Ivy Bridge is all about power reduction, 22nm litography, improved iGP (which has no benefit on iMac at all).

The most meaningful upgrade maybe comes from USB 3.0 support and slightly improved GPU.

11. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

When are the refreshed iMacs coming out? I put MBP up for sale to fund for an iMac purchase.

12. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

There has been a lot of speculation on that. The last guess was in March, but obviously that didn't happen. Now I believe everyone touting a June release, either way it should be coming in the near future.

13. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Would there be any significant changes to the iMac? Or would it be good to buy one now if I sell my mbp?

14. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Well there are going to be changes they will have the new Ivy Bridge processors. However the performance gain is probably going to be marginal at best, its not going to be like the change for C2D to Intel core i and see huge gains. If you buy a machine now it will be very capable and you'll enjoy it. The update will not render the current machines obsolete. In the end if you need one buy now, if you can wait then you wait.

15. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

If you need it now buy it now. If you can wait then do. It's not like the 2011 model will suddenly be rubish. However although the speed bump will be minimal (to the typical user for sure) what if it has some new feature we are not yet aware of? Like FaceTime before or something else. For me it's going to be out by June latest, so I'm waiting. If you don't like the new one when it's announced you can still buy 2011 refurb and save a bit of cash.