Buying an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DolphinPrincess, Jul 9, 2013.

1. DolphinPrincess macrumors newbie

Hello, I am thinking about buying an iMac. According to the macrumors website I should hold off on buying one. The recommendation is to buy it only of I need it. Why is that? When will be a good time to buy an iMac...

RecommendationBuy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycleLast ReleaseNovember 30, 2012Days Since Update221 (Avg = 335)

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It'll be fine - any update in the next few months will probably be a minor spec bump.

3. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Are you in any way going to benefit from 802.11.ac WiFi? Many people here think this is going to be one of the updates on the upcoming iMac, and probably the biggest.

4. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Following Apple's usual pattern, you can expect a new version in the September-October timeframe. However, you also shouldn't expect it to be substantially different from the one for sale right now. Unless you need to be on the extreme bleeding edge of the newest available technology or you have a problem with paying $X now when $X will get you slightly upgraded stuff in a few months, there's very little reason not to buy now.

5. CWallace, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Based on the new MacBook Air, moving from SATA to PCIe for the SSD should almost double disk performance of the next iMac (with the Samsung 256GB and 512GB SSDs). That and 802.11ac are why I am waiting for the next model.