buying an imac...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by unispherephoto, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. unispherephoto macrumors member


    Oct 11, 2004
    my 500 mhhz g4 tibook is on its last heres the question: for roughly the same price i could get either a 1.8 ghz imac g5 with a 20" screen or a 17" 1.9 ghz intel version.
    anyone have suggestions? i'm leaning toward the larger screen since i dont run super intensive apps all that often (some photoshop, final cut, reason) and thus performance shouldnt differ much. but am i stranding myself with the older chip? getting set up for obsolescence?
    as much as id like it, i cant afford the 20" intel, so please dont suggest getting that.

  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Despite the smaller screen, I'd probably still aim for the Intel Mac. You may as well have the latest technology.

    Either machine will be a massive leap up from the old PowerBook though.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5


    Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The 20" screen IS a big deal.
    Also, according to MacWorld, your applications like Photoshop will run at 1/2 speed under Rosetta until they are upgraded. Performance of Reason is completely up in the air... Check Propellerheads' websit to see what they say about Rosetta compatibility.

    If you need to use the apps NOW, then go for the G5 20"
  4. Epicurus macrumors 6502


    Apr 28, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd get the Intel 17". In a few months the Universal Binary versions of most of the major software titles will be flooding the market, making Rosetta more of a perk than a necessity. Plus, down the road you can always toss a 2nd monitor along side the Intel iMac (since it has a mini-DVI plug) if the 17" screen is too cramped.

    Either way you're getting more screen/resolution than the TiBook, so don't worry too much about that. If you need FCP/Photoshop NOW, the G5 is the only choice. If you can wait until March for FCP Universal, get the Intel and be happy for the next 2-3 years. My guess is that once Apple gets their Pro apps native on Intel, they'll be significantly faster than their counterparts on the G5.

    So I vote for the Intel 17" plus a second monitor a year or so down the line.:D
  5. atari1356 macrumors 68000


    Feb 27, 2004
    Sell that 60 gig iPod in your sig so you can afford the 20" Intel iMac. :)

    Actually, I agree with the poster who said that if you need to run Photoshop/Reason/etc. now, then get the 20" G5 because it's the only option.

    If you can wait 3 or 4 months, perhaps the universal binaries for the apps you use will be out - and in that time you could also be saving some money for the 20" Intel iMac.

Share This Page