Buying an iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by connect, Jan 8, 2008.

1. connect macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new!

I'm going to buy an iMac for a room upstairs in my house. If I want to be able to stream stuff to the TV downstairs is Apple TV the best option o can Mac Mini do it to? Will iMac and Mac Mini sync with each other?

Thanks for any advice.

2. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Yes, the Mac mini will do the job, but I would wait and see what comes out on the 15th for both the iMac & mini! :)

3. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Either will do the job adequately. They both have bluetooth, wi-fi, and the necessary power to do that job.

If you are short on cash, the mini is a good option... especially if you already have a keyboard, mouse, screen laying around from an old computer.

If you want a complete answer, beautiful screen, powerful processor, large hard drive, the iMac would be your best choice.

4. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I think the OP was asking whether iMac and Mac Mini would work together to stream stuff, rather than asking whether then Mac Mini would work with the Apple TV.

I don't know how you'd get a Mac Mini to do this as easily and elegantly as a Apple TV.

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I have to agree on the Apple TV over the Mini. The Apple TV is a slick way to play media on your TV, or stream from iTunes... Much easier to me...

But definitely wait until next week and see what happens...

6. connect thread starter macrumors newbie

buying

Thanks guy's. I am definately getting an iMac to go upstairs. I'm just debating if I should get a Mini Mac or Apple TV to stream stuff from upstairs down to my HDTV plasma.

7. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Well, if you're gonna use the iMac for the "computer stuff", and you don't feel the need to have the option to use the mini as an extra computer… then go with the :apple:TV! It's cheaper & (as with all :apple: products) it "just works!" ;)

… but remember to read the specifications (/limitations) of the :apple:TV