iPad Buying an iPad 4 - Futureproofing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by layziegtp, Nov 5, 2012.

1. layziegtp macrumors regular

I am the future owner of a 64GB LTE iPad 4. I really broke the bank for this device, and in fact sold my iMac and iPhone 4 to help finance the purchase (for reasons are unrelated to this post, however).

I was at first reluctant. The iPad 3 is still a hot device. Nobody seems to have much bad to say about it, and I could deal with the charge times and whatnot. However, because I'm spending so much, I wanted a device that will LAST, and I felt like the iPad 3 is already on it's way out. Here's why:

The 3rd generation iPad is already being pushed to it's limits. There are games that stutter a bit, zooming in and out of maps isn't as responsive as I'd like, and it's on par with iPad 2 performance. Mind, these are mostly heresay, mixed with a bit of hands on use at the Apple Store.

The iPad 4 however is a -very- powerful device. We're looking at a tablet that doesn't even have any applications that require so much power. From what I have heard, the games that stuttered on the 3rd gen are now smooth. I haven't seen it in use, but I imagine this power carries over into standard usage as well.

But what I am really excited for, is the prospect of an overly powerful device to handle future CYDIA apps. Many of these apps provide additional useful functionality, but can cause a significant performance hit. I look forward to seeing what the extra MHZ can do for the jailbreak community. One way or the other, mid-November can't come soon enough. I haven't been so excited for a new device in a long time!

2. Baggio macrumors 6502

Unlike the iPhone, the jailbreak has been ruled illegal on the iPad by the courts. I am not sure what actions will be taken against those that jailbreak, but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is aggressive in this regard. So, be careful.