All iPads Buying an iPad from 3rd party?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by d12dirtydozen, Mar 17, 2013.

1. d12dirtydozen macrumors newbie

I see some deals here and there on craigslist or ebay, brand new.
    I'm considering buying one, and I checked the serial # on apple.com and it pulls up as a legit ipad.
    Is there anything i have to worry about? It shows there is not exact purchase date. Anything that can happen if i log in with my normal apple ID? What are the chances somebody got it from it falling off the truck? Any repercussions?

2. ramram55 macrumors 6502

Recently bought an used ipad 3 from ebay, before paying is asking the seller for
    serial # and check with apple support for legit device.
    Next is to pay for it and check it out yourself and take it to apple store to check for battery and functions. The purchase date on apple site should show the approx date the purchase was done, maybe off by few days.
    Make sure it is paid through paypal. Keep a receipt for the transaction.

3. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

And if you go through Craigslist, meet at an apple store, a bank, or a police station.

Getting murdered would sure put a damper on your purchase.

4. BruiserB macrumors 65816

If it's a 3G model, you might want to call the relevant carrier and verify that it hasn't been blacklisted for theft or non payment of contract. I called Verizon when I bought my used mini and they told me it was clear. You will need the IMEI or ESN number to do this (in addition to the serial number to check with Apple).

5. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

There wouldn't be an exact purchase date as it has never been registered with Apple. The warranty date starts once registered as far as I know.

I'd ask the person to see their receipt if they have it on hand...

I bought my 64GB iPad mini in Jan off craigslist. The person had their receipt, it was brand new and they didn't have the time to return it at the Apple store. They let me open up the iPad (was still sealed), turn it on and check the SN. We met at a Starbucks which has free WiFi so the set up of the iPad was a snap and the seller had no issues waiting for the cash as I did this setup.

If you proceed with craigslist, take the same tactic, if the seller is antsy or not willing to wait count that as a red flag!

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

The iPad warranty states "for a period of ONE (1) YEAR
    from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser."