Buying an iPad from the US of A

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JonnyAlpha, Mar 14, 2011.

1. JonnyAlpha macrumors regular

Hi;

A colleague at my partners work is off to the USA and has asked if anyone wants an iPad as "apparently" they are a lot cheaper if purchased in the USA. I'm guessing that's as long as you don't get stung any import Tax if caught coming through customs, but why would you if you paid US Tax when you bought it??

Anyway enough of the legal wranglings assuming we get one what model should we get and will it work in the UK??

I'm guessing there might be problems if we got a 3G version? Are they locked to US mobile networks? Or is a 3G model compatible on any UK mobile network?

I have heard the charger might be a problem (different plug).

Any other issues I should be aware of before parting with our hard earned cash??

2. poloponies Suspended

Yes, the 3G is unlocked and usable anywhere a microSIM can be obtained.

Yes, the charger plug is different, but that's about it. You can either use a cheap plug adapter or pop for the Apple travel kit which offers a variety of adapters that use the Apple proprietary clip system.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You mean, other than the fact that they are almost impossible to get at a store? Or maybe that you can only purchase 2 of them at a time? Truthfully, your friend is going to have to be very lucky in order to buy them in person here in the US. Just search the numerous threads here.

4. JonnyAlpha thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry answering both posts here:

poloponies - thanks, I wasn't specific, I have read that the original iPad 3G was not locked but what about the iPad2?

ucfgrad93 - I'm guessing from your response they are in short supply.

5. poloponies Suspended

Yeah, I sort of gathered this was about the iPad 2 and while I don't have one in my hand, my answer stands. Every report I've read says it's configured just like the first with respect to 3G functionality.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, they are in short supply. Demand is pretty high right now and I wouldn't bet on your friend being able to get one.