Buying an iPad Now

Discussion in 'iPad' started by testdrive, Jul 1, 2012.

1. testdrive macrumors member

I am thinking about buying an ipad. I will be going to college this fall and thought it might be a nice investment to have on the go for net and other things. Should I buy the ipad 2 or the new ipad? Or wait for the ipad next year? Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, if you know a place selling ipads on sale, please let me know. Thanks

2. 184550 Guest

If you can afford the new iPad and/or desire any of the features specific to it, get the new iPad.

If not, get the iPad 2. Still a great buy for a casual user.

I personally don't see much point in waiting eight or nine months for a new product with absolutely no rumored features as of yet.

3. -TYLER macrumors regular

I say go with a refurbished iPad 2, $319 for 16gb, and $399 for 32gb is a great deal. They come in perfect condition with all new glass, and battery. Love mine so far.

The only benefit the iPad 3 has over the 2 is a better camera(who uses that...), retina display, and Siri.

If you go with refurb iPad 2, you need to check the apple site often because once they are in stock they go fast.

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

That's what I did for my wife. Neither of us thought the extra money for the new one was worth it for her uses.(web browsing and watching videos) If you intend to do a lot of reading I could see it being worth it, or desire 4G.

5. migdaddy macrumors 6502

6. MacJones macrumors 6502

I just bought the new iPad a few days ago and I'm in love with it. I was debating the 2 or 3 and decided the retina display was worth the extra money. The iPad does so much more than what I thought it was capable of and has replaced my MBA as my portable device. I'm thinking about selling my ACD and MBA to buy an iMac for home and use my iPad for mobile.

7. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Try an iPad 3 in the store and see if the retina is worth it to you. Do you have a friend with an iPad 2 you can try?

8. 617aircav Suspended

Buy the new iPad. I bought one today off craigslist with a case with bt keyboard for $350. The iPad 2 screen is terrible. If you buy the new iPad you won't need to upgrade to the next iPad.

9. Che Castro macrumors 603

You bought a used ipad 3 for $350?

You sure that wasn't an ipad 2

10. Zcott macrumors 68020

With iOS 6 being left off the original iPad, I'd say there's a chance iOS 7 will not be available for iPad 2. Save yourself money in the longer run by buying the iPad 3rd generation.

11. Giroux macrumors newbie

Do deals like $399 32gb iPad 2 only pop up on the refurbished store every once in a while? I'm trying to get my hands on a refurbished iPad 2 but the only ones on the store currently rival the prices of a brand new 3.

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

They popup a lot but you have to check constantly because they go fast, especially the WiFi models.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Honestly, man. I say just save up your pennies and buy a new iPad 3. You'll be happier in the long run.

I've rarely ever had good experiences with refurbished or used stuff, and I tend to shy away from anything that is unless I'm getting an absolutely spectacular deal. Apple is supposedly a little better than most when it comes to selling and covering furb equipment, but...eh. I still wouldn't do it.

14. Rodster macrumors 68040

Actually Apple refurbed iPad's go thru a higher level of testing than a new device. And don't forget that if your new device fails, guess what you'll probably get? A refurb as a replacement. ;)

My refurbed iPad 2 has been awesome, no issues.

15. migdaddy macrumors 6502

The screen on the iPad 2 is not terrible. It's just not retina. I call BS on the price for a 3 though.

16. 617aircav Suspended

Its a 3, 16gb wifi model. I'm im in fairbanks Alaska in the army. Craigslist is a buyers market here. An Xbox slim with two games can be had for $120. Right now someone wants to sell me an iPod touch 4th gen 64gb for 200, but I'm holding out till she accepts 160.

----------

To me it is.

17. testdrive thread starter macrumors member

I was looking for a ipad 3 on craigslist but all want around 500 which I can pay if i buy it new at the store. I want to buy it around $400 16gb model new.

18. JMountainDew macrumors regular

JMountainDew

iPad 2 is still a great device. And more affordable than the 3.

19. hughes114 macrumors newbie

If you buy a iPad 2, consider buying a refurb model. I have bought 2 ipads from the refurb store and not had a problem with them, and i saved £120-£150 over all :D

20. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast