Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedTempest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
I intend to buy the new iPad mini with retina display, although I am looking for ways to save money on this purchase. The model I am looking for is the 32gb (not cellular). On the UK apple store this would cost me £399, however, the price of this exact model is listed on the US apple store as $499, which when converted into GBP is £314.99. Thats a straight up saving of nearly £100 and there are no hidden postage fees either! Am I the only one who has stumbled across this or are there any hidden pitfalls of buying an iPad this way I should know about? Please let me know.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I intend to buy the new iPad mini with retina display, although I am looking for ways to save money on this purchase. The model I am looking for is the 32gb (not cellular). On the UK apple store this would cost me £399, however, the price of this exact model is listed on the US apple store as $499, which when converted into GBP is £314.99. Thats a straight up saving of nearly £100 and there are no hidden postage fees either! Am I the only one who has stumbled across this or are there any hidden pitfalls of buying an iPad this way I should know about? Please let me know.

First of all the US price doesn't include any taxes. Second, you can't order from the US Store for delivery outside the US and if you could it would be liable to VAT and import duty when it reached the Customs in the UK.

chfenton

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012

Nope, as an expat who lived in London I would always buy my apple from the US stores. Only issue is I don't think the US store site will ship outside of a US address so you will need that (which wasn't an issue for me). If you manage that, or plan to be in the US to get it it will be a big savings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.