Buying an iPad, stolen concerns.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ohmsford, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Ohmsford macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying an iPad off Kijiji but I have some concerns that it may be stolen, I just wanted to get everyones opinion.

The iPad is a 64gb Wifi model, listed for $600 or trade for a macbook. I happen to have a Black Macbook collecting dust, so the emails started. The iPad is supposedly mint, no original box, no receipt, no cables, etc. I suspect it of being stolen.

I got the serial number off of the iPad, here is where I get confused. Serial # is V50140VQZ3A. Warranty expires April 14th of this year. He claims he got it for christmas, so I pretty much gave up, thinking its stolen. Now heres his story.

The screen shattered on his old one, he just sent it into apple for repair, and they sent him this new one. The Apple repair ID and Serial number for the original are D41624274, GB011440Z3A respectively. That pulls up that the warranty is good yet for a bit more then a year, and that they sent out a replacement unit. Its starting to seem a bit more legit.

Now i'm confused though, the original iPad has warranty until April 2012, the new iPad has warranty until April 2011. Will this transfer? Is it stolen and this just happens to be a bunch of serials and a repair ID that all jives?

Thoughts?

2. maflynn, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're not sure and you don't think its passing the sniff test, why take a chance. Move on

you realize you can get a refurb iPad 64gb wifi model for 599 from apple.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The iPad warranty is 1 year when you buy it new. If he got apple care on it then ask to see proof of that. If the original ipad was bought in April 2010 and they purchased apple care, the AC transfers if the device is replaced. If the device is replaced the year starts from replacement date and that additional year extends that date 1 year.

If he got it for Christmas then Christmas being in December I assume he did not buy it in April. That makes no sense. Since this is the first Christmas that the iPad existed then his story makes little sense unless his parents bought it used (parents or someone else). That is possible as well.

If he dropped it then Apple would not have just replaced it, they would have repaired it at his cost and thus the Apple care 1 year warranty that comes on all products would not be extended.

I don't think his story matches up but I also don't know if you can do any more due diligence than you've already done. You could call Apple and see if the serial was reported stolen but chances are they'd be useless to you in that department.

If you aren't settled on it then don't buy it. You can get another one at that same price.

4. dime21 macrumors 6502

how would anyone here know if it's stolen??? :confused: What a strange question.

Take your serial numbers and ask Apple. And your local police department. Those are the only two sources who can check the serial numbers against a list of known stolen ones.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You really can't but you can assume the way a product is being sold on craigslist or ebay

For instance, a brand new sealed MBP. If the seller doesn't want it, why is selling a sealed computer on Craigslist/ebay, why not return it. I mean come on why sell it less then the retail price when you can return it.

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

I would say buy a new one.... but considering the ipad is due for a refresh soon, just wait a couple months. They might even come with one with cdma/LTE built in.