Buying an ipad used.. CL, etc..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SSpiro, Mar 15, 2011.

1. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Thinking about picking up my wife a used ipad 1, so she has her own to play with. She no longer has an ipod either, so thinking she can maybe use that also (essentially the same price as an ipod touch really)

SO.. What types of things should I look for/test when meeting up with someone to check the ipad out? Obviously physical defects, but what else should I be playing with and testing to ensure everything works swimingly?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I would meet @ a place w/ free wi-fi. Make sure that works and consistently.

Check for bad light leaks. There are bound to be some minor ones, don't worry about those, just ones that really intrude onto the screen.

Then check for dead pixels.

If an outlet is nearby plug it in to make sure adapter works and iPad charges @ normal speed.

Try out all the gestures to make sure the screen is responsive.

Test the speakers to make sure they are loudish and clear.

Test the headphone jack. Peek inside to make sure the water damage sensor has not been activated. (Apple warranty void if it has been).

The iPad will still be covered by Apple (if no water damage) @ this point since no iPad purchase date is a year old yet so I would ask for a copy of original receipt in case warranty service is required.

3. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Wow, perfect reply.. Thanks much!

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Wouldn't hurt to plug the serial # into https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do to double check the warranty expiration date -- also handy to see if seller is being forthright about how long they've had it.

Do a google search for how to check the liquid damage indicators; I believe one in headphone jack, one in dock port, but I could be wrong.