All iPads Buying an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Monkt, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Monkt, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2013

Monkt macrumors newbie

I'm trying to figure out how/where/what to purchase in terms of iPad options for my classroom

Where would you buy if you:

Wanted an ios device relatively cheap
    Wanted a warranty of some sort
    We're using it for the purposes I outlined

2. charlituna, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2013

charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

About the only place you have a shot at a discount is Apple. If the school is buying them then it might be a quantity high enough they might knock 10-15% off, especially if you get apple care + which would give you the two incidents of physical damage at a discount over the standard OOW cost. Only other thing you might have to consider is loss/theft insurance but Apple doesn't do that so you'll have to look privately.

As for what, I see nothing that suggests you have to have retina so if 16gb of storage is doable you could just go for the iPad 2 which retails at $399. Or take a lot at the iPad mini which might suit the kids better and would be $429 for a 32 GB.

There's info about volume app buying, financing etc here. Look for an education sales telephone or email to ask about discounts

3. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

If you posted your project through DonorsChoose.org, donations would be tax deductible and you might get some corporate matching funds.

Cool teaching idea!

4. Monkt thread starter macrumors newbie

I would love to use donors choose, but I teach at a Catholic school, so no dice

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

There may be some federal grants your school qualifies for, as well as perhaps grant type programs run by the Catholic Church for their schools.

In fact a very quick google for 'grants catholic schools' pulled up several references to funding resources

6. Monkt, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

Monkt thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure there are tons of options, but thought this one would work.

Back on topic... Just apple refurbs? Mini? Full size? Ipad 2 or 4?

I'd love more opinions!

7. Monkt thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Monkt thread starter macrumors newbie

9. madgibbon macrumors member

You aren't going to get an new iPad much cheaper than Apple sell them for. As people have already said a refurbished option is the cheapest way to get an iPad which still has a years warranty.

Another option is a second hand one. You should be able to find one cheaper than a referb with a few months warranty remaining.

As for which one, you may need to give us a better idea of what you intend to do with it. If you want to buy the cheapest a 16 Gb iPad mini or for a bit more a 16 Gb iPad 2. If it was me I would go for the mini, while it has the same hardware as the iPad 2 it's likely Apple will support it longer. I have an iPad mini and iPad 4, both excellent.

10. scottw324 macrumors 6502

11. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I would go through Apple, they're always open to school discounts. Whether that discount is a great one I don't know.