buying an iphone 3g and keeping iphone edge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thechidz, Jun 10, 2008.

1. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

ok guys, sorry if this was already posted but I am wondering what will happen if you want to buy a 3g iphone and use a new number, and keep your old plan with iphone 1? will the rate stay the same for the edge based iphone or will that go up also?

also, an unrelated question about text messages. do we get charged for receiving text messages or just sending them? I know how to send them for free so could deal with not having texts in my plan...

if we do get charged for receiving, is there a way to block getting texts?

2. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

If you buy a new 3G iPhone you will be signing a new contract and the old goes away.

As far as text messages go, I know that you can have AT&T turn off the ability to receive text messages. I would assume you could do the same here.

3. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

so you cant have 2 rate plans and 2 iphones? that is whack..

4. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

sorry, I dont think my question was clear enough...

I am asking if you can do this:

have your old iphone(917-555-5432), pay the voice+data($20) = approx. $70/month

plus

buy the new phone(917-444-9876), pay voice plus data($30) = approx $80/month

total:

$150 per month on 2 lines...

will this be allowed?

5. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Ah.....sorry Chidz.

I would think that you could. I have a family plan currently so I would assume I could do it by just adding another line for 10 bucks + monies for new voice and data plan. Good question.

6. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Yep, there's no reason you can't do that, although I would recommend turning it into a family plan as the exact same thing would be $130 a month then.