Buying an iPhone 3G sim unlock chip... need advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lamina, Sep 1, 2008.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I'm getting sick of waiting for the dev team to release a software unlock. I really appreciate all their hard work, but I'm in South Korea and I need to use my phone.

Which sim unlock card is best? I'm looking at yessim, and rebelsim. Google checkout is a pain, so I'd have to have it sent to my home in Canada, and have them mail it to me here... ugh.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

3. island macrumors 6502

island

I used both Yessim and Rebelsim and they work great.

4. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Well,

No iPhone for me. That is, no iPhone service for me, since I already have an iPhone 3G.

The South Korean phone system works like this (from what I understand):

The phone companies here control all phones on their network. That is, every phone is registered on the networks here. The only phones they allow to be registered are Korean phones. Therefore, no iPhone service for me.

I could of course somehow change the IMEI on my iPhone to a South Korean IMEI, but that's highly illegal, and due to S. Korea's insistence on being different from the entire developed world, I wouldn't be able to use text messaging here.

I spent $800 just getting the phone. That's $399 for the phone itself, and another $400 (plus taxes) getting out of my contract with Rogers. Yes, that's rape, I know.

So I've got the fanciest iPod touch in all of Seoul. I even bought a SIM unlock chip. I got it today, after waiting 3 weeks for it to be shipped here.

So there you have it folks. They (and Rogers) have no problem charging me $3/minute for roaming, with data, call display, visual voicemail, and SMS all working, but they won't let me 'register' my phone and use it as a local phone here.

I've recruited my Korean friends to help, and they have all found the same information. I couldn't believe it. I can't use my phone here. I've looked into the Samsung, LG, and other high-end phone lines here, and they're nice, but they don't work with iTunes, and they just don't zip the way the iPhone does.

There are rumors of the iPhone coming (and not coming) to South Korea abound, but nothing official from Apple or any of the providers, so I won't hold my breath.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I would call the carrier and said you have this other phone for backup and would like to register it so it could be used on your plan.

Doesn't hurt to try. Are the telecoms monopoly over there?

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

uh, the iphone is just a phone after all. and then there is always truphone. i think it works in korea as well but i'm not sure. at least you should be able to call from every wifi spot.

7. LeoLohan macrumors newbie

RebeL

i brought rebel sim card 2 months ago it just worked fine for me. i can even use 3g on my iPhone . . . It works cool try it friends, its a good i Phone unlocker . . . www.rebelsimcard.com

8. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

I'm not saying the rebelsim doesn't work. It's that Korea won't allow foreign phones, that's all. I'm confident the Rebel Sim works great, which is why I bought it in the first place.

9. akbc macrumors 6502

There IS a way to use it...

Well, first of all. iPhone 3G and any and every GSM cell phones will not work in South Korea as a regular cell phone.

They use a cellular network system based on the CDMA technology. Something like Telus, Verizon and that kind of stuff. They DO NOT have SIM cards in their phone. It's not that they want to "control" your phone usage, it's more of an incompatibility of two different cellular technologies. There are over 5 major carriers, but NONE of them use the GSM technology.

However, if you use the KTF (A carrier in Korea), their ROAMING service offers GSM service. But at a ridiculous price which is just over the top. Like, they would start charging you once your "ring" starts on the phone.

Hope that helped, good luck!

10. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

They do have sims in some of their phones. They use CDMA and 3G. Oddly, my CDMA phone has a sticker on it which says CDMA 3G. Weird eh?

Anyway I've given up.

11. plan4 macrumors newbie

you're confusing 3G with GSM. both GSM and CDMA offer 3G. i know nothing about cell phones in korea, so won't dispute the use of sim cards in some phones, but your phone that says "CDMA-3G" is exactly that.

12. akbc macrumors 6502

Yeah, both GSM and CDMA do offer 3G cellular technology. CDMA's 3G is based on W-CDMA which is 3G. You have to keep it mind, GSM, CDMA and 3G is al separate terms and different ways of cellular networking.

13. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Thank you for the clarification. Cell phones were never my forte. :rolleyes: