Buying an iPhone 3G...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Molopo, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Molopo macrumors regular

I got my iPhone 8 gig a few months after the price dropped to $400. I recently sold it for $200, a very bad decision on my part, on the premise that I would be able to waltz into an apple store and just buy an iPhone 3G right off the shelf. A friend of mine recently brought to my attention the fact that if I get an iPhone 3G from an Apple store, I need to sign up for a contract right then and there. Is this true? I checked eBay prices on iPhones/iPhone 3g, and the prices seem to suggest this... Am I screwed now? BTW - I'm a T-Mobile user...

2. RIPNHL2005 macrumors member

I believe you do....I don't know who you sold it to but you got taken for a ride!

I sold my jailbroken 8GB 2G iPhone on ebay for over $350

3. SiuPak macrumors newbie

4. diemos macrumors 6502

5. Superpol! macrumors newbie

Hi :)
    Just wondering if you could help me?
    Just bought an iphone. I have an orange sim card that i want to use. I know i will have to get the iphone unlocked. Where is best for this? And will i be able to use the internet via my orange contract?
    Thankyou for your help

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can buy one from AT&T for $599 or $699 for 16gb without a contract.
    Your friend played you.

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Wow dude. Okay here we go.

1. You got taken to the cleaners. Selling an iPhone for $200?

2. Even if you were able to buy an iPhone from Apple or AT&T without a contract for whatever price, the new iPhones that they sell are 2.2.1 which has an updated baseband that cannot be unlocked for use with providers such as T-Mobile, unless you use a turbosim that is but that's a whole different story.

Same to you. Is it 2.2.1? If so you can't unlock it via YellowSn0w. Therefore you would have to use a turbosim.

I'll also add that if you are having to ask about unlocking and where to do so etc.. it may of been best to of researched more before you purchased, however I am all for people learning new things. Check out the Dev Team blog for some information about currently unlocking the iPhone.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

8. Molopo thread starter macrumors regular

He doesn't really know much about the whole unlocking deal... I told him that he could just put his sim card in it and he was like "Yeah I'll buy it then." So it's not like he was actively trying to rip me off...I think. Anyway, he already screwed it up by trying to restore it, and then disconnecting it WHILE it was restoring... so I'm hoping he'll be frustrated enough to sell it back to me.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Tell him you changed your mind and it can only be restored back with your sim card :D