Buying an iPhone 4... Which firmware?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zethca, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Zethca macrumors regular

Which firmware will the phone ship with? Or am I required to download the latest when I activate it in itunes?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

You're never required to update your OS in iTunes. You can always just hit cancel.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It might have 4.2.1 or maybe 4.3, noone knows.
    And no you dont need to update to the latest firmware in order to activate or sync it thru itunes.
    You can click no or cancel.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

5. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

I picked up 2 last night from AT&T store and both were at 4.3

6. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

My advice, with some users having issues with new updates, turn auto update off in iTunes. Read through here and the Apple Discussion forum about issues with certain updates, and then decide whether you want to update or not. Most iOS update changes the modem firmware, so even if you can downgrade to an older iOS, that modem firmware will stay the same. Some have indicated that issues with their phones are more about the modem firmware causing the problems, than the iOS itself.

Unless someone who already updated to the latest iOS tells you what modem firmware is installed, you won't know unless you update yourself. I have upgraded to the iP4 from the 3GS, it's running 4.1 with 02.10.04 firmware. After my own harrowing experience after updating to 4.0 and three 3GS's later, I got upgraded to the iP4. Which in it's current condition is running perfectly (with the exception of intermittent wifi issues). After reading through posts with people having issues after updating to 4.3, I'm sticking with 4.1 a while longer. Who knows, maybe it will take upgrading to an iP5 to not have these issues anymore.

7. Zethca thread starter macrumors regular

I was just hoping to get 4.2 so I could get an untethered JB right off the bat. Not a huge deal as 4.3.1 untethered is imminent. Guess I'll have to see about the baseband when I get it...

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A friend just got one today from an AT&T store and came with 4.3

9. Zethca thread starter macrumors regular

It's impressive how fast the latest firmware comes to retail. I was hoping I could snag an old one at an out-of-the-way AT&T store or something. :(

10. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I got a replacement iPhone 4 last Friday, it was on 4.2.1. Then got my brothers replaced Monday just gone, that was on 4.2.1 as well. Both from Apple Retail Stores in the UK.

11. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

Was it BNIB, or a refurbished (like new) one? Usually, the refurbished ones will have the latest version. When you get a swap/replacement, you get the refurbished ones. Technically, it is brand new, as they replace all the parts, including battery, and screen if needed.

12. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If you get one straight from Apple, it'll most likely be the latest 4.3.1. If you do Best Buy or somewhere like that (rewards points ;) ) you might have better luck finding a 4.2.1 that can be jailbroken if that's your goal.