Buying an iPhone 6 at Apple Store and having it activated there?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vell843, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Vell843 macrumors regular

Vell843

I am currently out if the country and unable to purchase an iPhone 6 with my Verizon upgrade. If my wife goes to a Apple Store and purchases phone for me, will it have to be activated at time of purchase? Reason I ask is b/c I don't want it activated and I not be able to use my current iPhone 5 once I get to back to the states like in the airport. I was thinking she can just purchase from Apple Store and I take it to Verizon store when I get back to have it activated and my iPhone to my wife.

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I'm pretty sure any iPhone bought in person will be activated in store. I think the only way to not have it activated is to order one online.

3. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

I bought my 6 full price from an apple store and did not activate it. I'm doing a phone number shuffle between this phone and 2 others while adding a line, so I am waiting to activate it until I am able to do all of that. Bottom line, you will need to buy it full price/off contract in order to not have it activated at the time you buy it.

4. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Yep, which is why when the OP said...
    ... I told him the only way to really not have it activated when upgrading is via online purchase.

5. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Yes, they have to activate it.

Just picked up my iPhone 6 (Verizon ordered online) and they scan it, ask you to check the info, sign it, and its yours.